I need help with Mobo...

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
*posted this in the mobo section but noone answers and I need a quick decision.

Hey folks!

I noticed a scratch on my mobo last week. It is on the left side of the PCI-E slot and I am thinking i scratched it while installing the video card or something. Also, ther is some copper showing so I am not sure if this means that it is already damanged or has a potential of damaging other components (as you will see it already has). Anyways, since I had to RMA my GTX 260, I installed a cheapo card on the same week when all of a sudden I hear a crackling noise. I smelled smoke but could not figure out where it was coming from.

Obviously, the PC shut down immidiately. I did the paper clib trick to see if the PSU was dead, took it to a computer place and tested it with another PSU, and he had it on for about 2 secs, we figured the PSU was fried.

Anyways, I am in the process of replacing the PSU BUT I don't want to try and turn it on and have the mobo kill my new PSU. I can post pics of the scratch later on if you guys wish but any input would be appreciated!

EDIT: So I installed everything and fired it up. So far everything is fine (cross fingers). I am just curious if I should be careful to see if anything happens later on. Opinions?

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9488/sl370707.jpg

Last edited: