I need help using Geforce 4 ti/4400 and Counter-Strike

slimbim

Apr 30, 2000
My current setup is this.
VisionTek Geforce4 Ti/4400.
28.32 Detonator drivers.
Dual Monitor setup - My main monitor is connected to the VGA out, and the secondary monitor is connected to the DVI using DVI - VGA converter. Both are set to 1280 x 1024 for everyday tasks.

Now the problem came when I installed half-life and counter-strike. I don't know if there are special settings I need to do or what. Plus i don't know what to use, opengl or directx, and what resolution to set the game to.

Problem 1.
The smoke bombs are terrible. The smokes look all big white squares, and I didn't even have this problem with ATI Xpert 2000 card.....

Problem 2.
When I play the game on the main monitor, the second monitors resolutions seems to change also, and I can't really see the open windows on the second monitor. I heard people play games on one monitor, and see AIM or whatever on the second monitor when they have dual monitor setup.

Please, I am sure there are someone using the same card and playing counter strike. Is there any certain settings I need to do? OpenGL or DirectX? How can I make the smoke bombs smooth and actually make it look like smokes?

Thank You!

Furor

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2001
Try opening console and typing fastsprites 0 ..also try 1, 2, 3, etc..I think thats the command that fixes it..might be fastsprite..

MistaTastyCakes

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2001
Problem 1: Did you completely uninstall the old ATI drivers, perhaps?

Problem 2: Judging by the screenshot, you play CS in a really low res, and with a GF4, res in CS really.. doesn't matter. Since, on an nView dual monitor setup, all monitors must run at the same res, monitor #2 is switching to the low res you have CS running in on monitor 1. So, bump up CS and the other one will change. The only way these people multitask like that is cause they play their games in higher resolutions, or run them windowed.

DoobieOnline

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Hey slimbim, there's a setting on the game menu to change the quality of the smoke. I can't remember the exact place it's located, but I think it's under one of the advanced tabs in video. I can tell from your screenshot that yours is set to low quality because mine was doing the same thing. Once I selected high quality rendering for smoke, it wasn't as solid and the color changed to gray. Hope this helps!