i need help resetting the bios on a hp envy model 23-o014

berbes

Mar 7, 2018
hello!

Product Name: model envy 23-o014
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

what makes this worse is, someone disabled the usb's, so, a keyboard is currently useless and i need to reset the bios. i took out the bios battery for 30 secs, but it still doesn't seem to recognize the USB boot disc. are there jumpers to deal with? did i miss a step?

thanks!
berbes

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
A wired keyboard should give you access to the BIOS. You generally do not need to reset the BIOS for the USB ports to work during power up.

berbes

Mar 7, 2018
thank you for answers. no, i need to reset the bios to factory. the client told me their "it' guy accidentally turned off the usb option in the bios. i've tried using a usb wired board, but numlock blinks for one second and it does not work to hit esc and get to the boot options.

i need to reset that bios to default. thanks for the help!

berbes

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Try holding down "ins" on power-up. Or was it "end". One of them will cause an AMI BIOS to boot failsafe, and ignore / reset your CMOS settings.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
thank you for answers. no, i need to reset the bios to factory. the client told me their "it' guy accidentally turned off the usb option in the bios. i've tried using a usb wired board, but numlock blinks for one second and it does not work to hit esc and get to the boot options.

i need to reset that bios to default. thanks for the help!

berbes
It's either F10 or Escape key for HP, as you turn the computer on, and HP says that disabling the USB ports in BIOS does not disable them during power up. HP says you can still use a wired keyboard to get into BIOS with the USB ports disabled.

30 seconds is not long enough for the CMOS to reset. Unplug, take the battery out for about 5 minutes. Also press the power switch to discharge any capacitors.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
you probably need to hit f10.

But why did he disable USB for an AIO which requires a USB keyboard?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00364979

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.
  3. Press the f9 key to reset the BIOS to the default settings.
  4. Press the f10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS settings menu.