I need help overclocking i7 920 BloomFeild from 2.6 to 3.0

imported_Arkhon

Jul 17, 2009
Hello all

OK I have been trying to over clock my i7 920 bloomfield from the stock 2.6 to a 3.0 but i can not get to run stable at 3.0 only at 2.9 I am sure it's ehter a voltage or memory issuse
I havent changed anything in the Bios I would like to get a good idea before moving into Bios I am using turboV from Asus here is my system specs any help would great thanks

ASUS X58 MOTHERBOARD P6T DELUXE

INTEL BLM 2.66GHZ (133x21) i7-920 C0 A51 X58 (Currently at 2.9 142x21)

3 | ELPIDA 2GB DDR3 PC3-8500 U-DIMM 1067MHZ CL7 JEDEC STANDARD

1 KILOWATT OEM ATX PSU

FLEXTRONICS NVIDIA GTX 260 896MB REV 1

WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM X64

If you need more info or any system specs plz let me know i check the forums daliy thanks

NA1NSXR

Jul 17, 2008
Tell us what BCLK/MULTI combination you are using, all of your multipliers and voltages. The good news is that you will probably need only a very small tweak to get 3.0 completely stable. I suspect something with the memory because you left the vdimm untouched and unintentionally OC'ed your RAM in the process. Otherwise, you probably just need a small bump to vcore. You can speed up this process by using a stress test to save yourself some time.

imported_Arkhon

Jul 17, 2009
Hello NA1NSXR

The baseclock I am using is 142x21 to get 2.9 to get 3.0 my base clock is 143x21 the CPU voltage is 1.22500 DRam Bus Voltage 1.50 the QPI/DRAM Core Volt is 1.20000. I was thinking the same thing about the RAM being overclock When i incresed the base clock it automaticly overclocks the RAM. I was thinking that i need to reduce the multiplier then up the base clock so that it will keep the RAM at stock or almost stock speeds here is my RAM specs also

Specifications
? Density: 2GB
? Organization
? 256M words × 72 bits, 1 rank
? Mounting 18 pieces of 1G bits DDR3 SDRAM sealed
in FBGA
? Package: 240-pin socket type dual in line memory
module (DIMM)
? PCB height: 30.5mm (max.)
? Lead pitch: 1.0mm
? Lead-free (RoHS compliant)
? Power supply: VDD = 1.5V ± 0.075V
? Data rate: 1333Mbps/1066Mbps/800Mbps (max.)
? Eight internal banks for concurrent operation
(components)
? Interface: SSTL_15
? Burst lengths (BL): 8 and 4 with Burst Chop (BC)
? /CAS Latency (CL): 6, 7, 8, 9
? /CAS write latency (CWL): 5, 6, 7
? Precharge: auto precharge option for each burst
access
? Refresh: auto-refresh, self-refresh
? Refresh cycles
? Average refresh period
7.8µs at 0°C = TC = +85°C
3.9µs at +85°C < TC = +95°C
? Operating case temperature range
? TC = 0°C to +95°C

THE RAM is currently running at 1066 with a Frequency of 567.7 MHz -I belive the is the Memory multiplier=FSB:DRAM 2:8 -NB Frequency- 2270.5MHz

I am using the Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard with a 1 KILOWATT OEM ATX PSU I ran cpuZ I would like to give you a screenshot but cpuZ doesnt have that fuction so here

CLocks (Core#0)

Core Speed - 2980.1Mhz
Multiplier- x 21.0
Bus Speed- 141.9 Mhz
QPI link- 2554.3Mhz

Thanks for commenting back i have posted on 10 different sites and no will help thanks for your time if there is anything else you need plz let me Know

NA1NSXR

Jul 17, 2008
Try changing your DRAM voltage to 1.575. That is the max on the data sheet for your memory modules.

I would suggest you find a fast and reliable way of crashing your computer. It can save you a lot of time trying to find the problem. Download prime95 and see if you can pass the benchmark (not the torture test) under the options menu.

Try to find out if it is your ram or cpu which needs more voltage to pass. Most likely it is the memory but your cpu may or may not need a small bump too.

You might want to download intelburntest as well. But you don't need to use that right now if your computer is still crashing. If you manage you pass the prime95 benchmark, you can fine tune your settings so that you can run the torture test in prime for a good while or pass a couple different configurations of Intelburntest (which is the same as linpack).

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Check uncore settings MB. If uncore is at a strange frequency, that will cause crashing. Try setting it to 2x or 2x+1 your memory divider, or try auto. what is it set to right now? I doubt it would have anything to do with QPI or Vcore, but it might. Test with OCCT and memtest. Also, if you get BSOD's, they often tell you what needs to be upped in terms of voltages, so I hear.

Try doing a search b/c I don't know them off hand, but the info is out there. Basically, if you get one BSOD, up vcore. Other and up QPI a bit.

With a D0 you should be able to do 3.8 easy with stock voltages or very near stock, with decent cooing. I know my C0 got there without much trouble. 3 should be a breeze on a D0.

jkresh

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
what cooling do you have? (with a good aftermarket cooler you should be able to get somewhere around 3.8 with that board without any issue (4.0 or higher is possible but depends on a bunch of things)), you ram is the issue (as you raise your bclk you are overclocking your cpu and ram so you need to lower the multiplier for ram so you can keep your ram close to its stated speed (as that won't overclock anywhere near as far as the cpu will). Turbo v can't change those settings so you will have to go into the bios and change the memory divider (you can then go back to using turboV while you test your overclock, but eventually you should set everything in the bios).

GEOrifle

Oct 2, 2005
I was going to build my i7 920 with ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 but then i saw this review:

Cons: 1. Limited number of SATA ports.
2. They took away SAS ports.
3. 21x multiplier drops to 20x under load, basically killing all OC abilities of this board.
4. BCLK limited. You won't go far OC'ing this thing with BCLK (required for i7 920). If you have higher multiplier CPU like extreme edition CPUs (like i7 965 or 975), you are fine.
5. Asus support leaves a lot to be desired.

How true it is?
Should i wait new version of ASUS P6T Deluxe or buy better one if it exists.
Which one ?