Question I need good free PDF reader for Windows 10

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
I need good free PDF reader for Windows 10. A PDF reader that doesn't do much just for reading. I had a good one last month but that computer died after 4 years. But the happy ending is that I just got 2 new Thinkpads, a W541 and a X201 with an I7 at 2.67GHZ.
Now I need a new PDF reader for Win 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harirson

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Thank you guys. I finally found the one I had before, maybe I'm not as thrilled with it as I remember I was looking for a PDF reader with as few features as possible so it wouldn't take up space on my screen. I wanted space to read the PDF rather than massive toolbars. The one I got is Expert PDF Reader and although it has little or no features they still hung a toolbar on it that takes up 20% of the page.
I wanted simple and featureless. When I work with PDFs I have Nitro PDF which is full featured.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Sumatra

@uberman Try sumatra.

I've used sumatra for several years. It's a great alternative to the huge buggy adobe reader.

It's just a reader, won't edit, but doesn't cause problems. Doesn't constantly download huge updates, or make itself the center of the universe as adobe does.

Reactions: MtnMan

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
+1 on Sumatra
Been using it for years
I've also used Foxit but eventually just stuck with Sumatra because you can run it without having to install it or write to the registry.
Put in a confortable spot and just associate pdfs with it

Reactions: MtnMan

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I need good free PDF reader for Windows 10. A PDF reader that doesn't do much just for reading. I had a good one last month but that computer died after 4 years. But the happy ending is that I just got 2 new Thinkpads, a W541 and a X201 with an I7 at 2.67GHZ.
Now I need a new PDF reader for Win 10.

I'd just use Microsoft Edge if all you need is the basics (or Chrome if that's your default web browser).

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I love how every answer in this thread is NOT to use Adobe's bloatware.

One note about basically all of these, including Adobe and their cursed McAfee parasite-ware :

ALWAYS select custom install if possible, and uncheck all the optional stuff except :

☑️ View PDF in browser
☑️ Associate PDF with application

For example Foxit has bloatware for their cloud thing I believe called ConnectedPDF or something similar. Needless junk.

And even if you have one that didn't have a parasite-ware tagalong the last time you installed it, it's no guarantee the latest download hasn't given in to that type of thing.

Common ones are McAfee Livescan, various browser adware, extra features and such, or naggy trial premium versions when you specifically downloaded the free basic reader. Accepting the trial will just add popups, and disabled functionality when the trial period ends.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I love how every answer in this thread is NOT to use Adobe's bloatware.

One note about basically all of these, including Adobe and their cursed McAfee parasite-ware :

ALWAYS select custom install if possible, and uncheck all the optional stuff except :

☑ View PDF in browser
☑ Associate PDF with application

For example Foxit has bloatware for their cloud thing I believe called ConnectedPDF or something similar. Needless junk.

And even if you have one that didn't have a parasite-ware tagalong the last time you installed it, it's no guarantee the latest download hasn't given in to that type of thing.

Common ones are McAfee Livescan, various browser adware, extra features and such, or naggy trial premium versions when you specifically downloaded the free basic reader. Accepting the trial will just add popups, and disabled functionality when the trial period ends.

This is good installation advise for ANY software. I always go through the complete custom install to be sure I uncheck any parasite garbage payloads.

Rarely, I miss a useful feature that I didn't understand at the time, and have to re-install, but not very often.