I need Christmas gift ideas help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Let us be a little nice:

Book on tape can be enjoyed by all.

At her age a nice warm sweater - Talbots has lots of 50% off stuff on line.

A modern game that would bring the family around the table during the holidays.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
igourmet them some delicious snacks? https://www.igourmet.com/
tillamook county smoker them some tasty meat treats? https://tcsjerky.com/
Surprise Schwans visit if mom or sister or niece is too busy/stressed to cook? https://www.schwans.com/
Get good steaks from a prime butcher?
Send them some nice coffee from a good roaster? I like https://doorcountycoffee.com/ but theres a ton of good options.
Buy them some pot?
Send some of their favorite wine or whisky or whatever drinks they might like?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
IDK, I think the Switch would be awesome. My 22 yr old step son and his gf have each been trying to find 1 since this whole pandemic began and couldn't get their hands on one so I'd probably do that.

A few years ago our whole family took a trip to Aulani. We had pictures done there by the resort and since then have been sitting on a CD. My folks moved to a new place over the summer so my wife and I had a collage made of some of the pics printed on canvas. We're going to give that to my parents(mom really) and they'll have something nice to hang up on the wall. My dad is usually good with some golf balls or a golf shirt, so he's easy.
We went to Oahu and the Big Island around mid March....hah. Walgreens had free 5X7s, Dollar General had some 5X7 frames I got for $2 each....then CVS had a deal on a ceramic/metal photo mug for $7... Those photo gifts are going to my wife, but I have an extra 5x7 frame. I may have to get another print and use that.

Yeah...I setup the switch for my kids yesterday. I'm not doing an online account yet. I ended up *testing Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. Mario Kart just has that traditional Nintendo/Sega feel to it. The Japanese game developers are so legit with that stuff in their music and color selection. It's far better for young kids than my Xbox Ones. They pretty much just play Minecraft there, but that's due to limited titles. I feel like even though the Switch library is more limited than the Xbox library, the games are more kid-friendly.

The platform itself is in a neat package, but definitely has less power. I'm still interested to see how we enjoy it. I'm thinking I may get my niece Mario Kart to go with her Switch, but may touch base after Christmas to see if she'd rather get a physical copy or the digital version. I feel like digital is better in most ways so you aren't keeping up with cartridges, but the physical copy loaded instantly....so I'm torn.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Let us be a little nice:

Book on tape can be enjoyed by all.

At her age a nice warm sweater - Talbots has lots of 50% off stuff on line.

A modern game that would bring the family around the table during the holidays.

Cards Against Humanity? :p

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Just wanted to post back that the switch to my niece was a total hit. I think she mainly got a few adult gifts and cash for a laptop she wants, so a "fun" gift is just what she needed. The whole family talked about it.

All the other gifts turned out ok. I think I'm going to go back to my old method of preparing a little further in advance next year. I hate being up against the wall trying to figure it out.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Just wanted to post back that the switch to my niece was a total hit. I think she mainly got a few adult gifts and cash for a laptop she wants, so a "fun" gift is just what she needed. The whole family talked about it.

All the other gifts turned out ok. I think I'm going to go back to my old method of preparing a little further in advance next year. I hate being up against the wall trying to figure it out.
Tip for future gift giving. When in doubt, ask people what they want! Older people might put you off at first but ask again & you will often get a list of things to choose from.

I will be 64 next month, cancer has slowed my physical capabilities but my interests haven’t really changed. I love tech toys that make my life easier, chemo port friendly warm tops & hoodies, easy to slip on yoga pants in business colors, simple shoes with grippy soles, a decent shower chair that doesn’t break, microfiber hair towels, loose warm socks, chocolate, toys for my cats, donations to my favorite charity e/books subscriptions to services that make my life easier, heck send me a funny meme regularly, laughter is always good around here.

Possible gifts are endless and come in all price ranges! Some favorites from my life this year? Middle daughter gifted me a virtual trip to Japan, I have teas, soups, snacks ( I adore tea cakes) we have a board game my son & I will figure out how to play. Good lip balms from a work friend, gift cards that help bring down the cost of groceries being delivered. An ebook with the promise of starting a private book club to discuss each book we chose to read.
My favorites involve spending a bit of time with my family and friends, even if it’s just virtually. Hearing my daughter’s thoughts on books is delightful ( English Major) & actually being forced to thinking about things besides cancer can’t be beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante