I need an uniteruptable power supply

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by TennesseeTony, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Good buy if you NEEDED it?

This poll will close on May 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM.
  1. Oh Heck yeah!

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Yeah, it's ok.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nah.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony Elite Member

I've often looked for, and I think I have finally found, the one UPS to rule them all. For me at least.

My requirements were a bit daunting. I wanted a high powered system that could power everything except for my personal computer, and I wanted it to be an "unusual" (for the USA) 220-240V system.

My "winter" configuration probably pulls 3600 watts, with at least 7 CPU/MB/RAM/PSU/Fans, each with a GPU or two or three. So we're looking at something larger than a 4000VA setup. Much larger.

Of course I'm not going to buy new, so off to ebay, one more time, after numerous failed attempts to find 240V systems. I'm not sure what I did different, but I had some luck this time, I think.

So, if you NEEDED it, do you think a good used one of these with 20 brand new batteries is worth $700 delivered? ($500 for the unit, $200 for the new batteries with 3 yr warranty) More important than the battery back-up, I need the line filtering/protection. Lots of gear, ya know? Can't believe I've gone so long without even proper surge protection.

#1 TennesseeTony, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - uniteruptable power supply Forum Date
    Observation of power usage of 2 generations of CPU's/GPU's Distributed Computing Oct 20, 2016
    AMD R7 240 equivalents (power draw, TDP, compute) Distributed Computing Oct 23, 2014
    Rough method of calculating power draw (and thus costs) of a given CPU? Distributed Computing Mar 10, 2014
    Quietest, most power eficient GPU for Folding Distributed Computing Jun 27, 2012
    Decent, inexpensive Power supply for XP 3000? Distributed Computing Mar 14, 2004

3. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

every UPS I have had failed. Either in 1 year or by 5, so I dumped them. Batteries being the weak point. No matter what the battery is always being used, they don't have separate lines that switch back and forth as it is believe or sold to be. And some where from large research manufacture's here in town that have to replace every few years, cause HSV is big tech town. So, I would look at the cost of the battery replacement to justify the price it will take to purchase and maintain. At $700, your getting into generator pricing to power a few rooms. In the long term with battery costs, a propane powered whole home generator may be easier and financeable.

Edit for line filtering, look into audio equipment. Furman is king and Nady makes some good stuff too. I use a Nady power conditioner for my guitar rig and effects.

4. TennesseeTony

$200 a set for the batteries. I've edited the post to reflect this.

5. Orange Kid

Orange Kid Elite Member

I have a UPS on each setup I have. Power here is always going off for short periods of time during bad weather. Too many trees and overhead power lines. Mine are spread around the house and TV's and stereos are plugged into them also. I hate the power off, power on 5 seconds later. That stuff kills electric things fast...so the UPS take care of that :)
    So three setups at $100 each for three computers..... for what you have and what it is I'd go for it. I've lost modems, video, harddrives, and motherboards in the past to erratic power.
    Most backup generators don't fire up till the power is out, by that time the damage is done if you don't have UPS also.

6. TennesseeTony

I used to have the most unreliable power, possibly on the planet. "Oh no, I just saw a leaf blowing in the wind...power will go out soon." And it would. The electrical provider finally spent an entire YEAR, with multiple commercial tree crews, cutting back trees throughout the entire county. So my luck looked like it was improving. As soon as the local paper announce the completion of the trimming project, the power didn't just go off, it came back on then off then on then off repeatedly for about 15 cycles, in 15-20 seconds, then finally stayed off for hours. Someone hit a pole, and the lines were slapping into each other, until something finally fried.

A few weeks later, another light drizzle, another 'driver' hit a pole, same thing with the electric. Like a 2 year old found out how to operate a light switch. Maybe six weeks later: Same; Freaking; Thing. Unbelievable, but true. Thus, I just knew I had to do something.

So yes, I got the UPS, came in today. I VERY carefully installed 258V worth of batteries, I never feared DC before...but never had more than 12V before either, lol. After some "Appalachian Engineering" (aka Redneck Ingenuity) in which I converted some twist-lock 120v plugs into twist-lock 240v plugs I was up and running! One unexpected thing was the fan....I don't think there's any need for it to run 100% at idle, and it's a server-grade 120mm (LOUD!). Eventually it's permanent home will be in the garage, so no big deal for now.

It's a monster. Wide enough to set two towers on top of, but much longer, and if fully loaded, requires a 40A@240V circuit. :confused_old:

7. Orange Kid

Orange Kid Elite Member

Yowza, that's a monster. I have found it worthwhile to have though. It's fun to watch everything run while the town is in the dark. Big question is, will they all shut down nice on their own when the batteries get too low?

8. TennesseeTony

I'm investigating that. I have to find a Serial Cable once ThunderStrike gets running (has serial I/O) and install their software(1) on that box, then that box will supposedly find my other local machines, on which I will have to install a different program, software(2), from them (I think), and if needed, the serial cable machine will tell the others when to close up shop and settle in for a little nap.

Orange Kid likes this.