I need an inexpensive wall clock that runs on a single battery, AA or AAA. And auto updates the time.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I think most of the digitals use at least 2 x AA or AAA, how about this:

Why is 1 x AA important? I'd just toss a couple LSD, NiMH rechargeables in, will probably run over a year before they need recharged again, OR just not get atomic, considering non-atomic can run closer to 5 years (longer still if a simple LCD display with no backlight) and daylight savings changes will be ending fall 2023.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
The kicker will be the radio for the time updates. They use more juice than the rest of the clock and they need access to the signal. I have a couple that don't update regularly because they can't get the signal. WWV is very low power.

I'm not a fan of smart stuff, but this might be one of those things if you can find one that updates over the web instead of the radio.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Most micro controllers and other IC chips run at 3.3v or 5v so might be hard to find something that runs on a single AA as it's an extra step having to have a boost controller built in.

I think they do make analog wall clocks that use GPS though, so that might be an option. Didn't find any when doing a quick search though but if you search deeper might find one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah no, one AA doesn't have enough power to do all you are asking the clock to do.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, I'll give in and get cheap atomic clock that needs 2.
I have to get several of them for the giant VFW hall and everybody who works there is too lazy to manually update the clocks. I wanted single AA or AAA because they are also cheap and dont like buying them. Maybe I can get a case of cheap ones from Costco or somewhere.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It’s a VFW hall; just set the clocks to ten minutes to bar time and leave the batteries out. They’ll sell a lot more beer.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Ken g6 and iRONic