I need an answer before something fries!

mrzed

Jan 29, 2001
Upgraded a new system with XP1700+/MSI KT3 Ultra 2.

I'm running a Matrox g200 now, just until I pick up a Radeon 8500le.

My problem is that the G200 is runnning very hot. It's just got a little passive heatsink on it, but it's by far the hottest thing in my sytem. The back of the PCB oppostite the heatsink is almost too much to touch.

I was under the impression that this card should run cool, so I am very concerned, and I don't want to fry anything else along with it if the G200 goes kaput.

I have checked the AGP voltage settings in BIOS, and it is set to auto. Everything is working fine. I had troubles earlier with the system, but after I installed the VIA 4 in 1 drivers, it has not given me any trouble.

Are there some compatibilit issues with much older video cards like the G200, and newer KT333 boards I don't know of? Or are these temps normal. It doesn't seem right.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
The problem most likely is that you went with a AMD platform instead of an Intel. I am not biased. I own both Intel and AMD systems.
Its just the way it is. AMD and vid cards, don't play nice nice together. Intel does. Sorry....

Keys

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
AMD and vid cards, don't play nice nice together. Intel does. Sorry....

What!?!?! That statement is totally false infomation. I'm not sure why his card would run
alot hotter but I know its not from having an AMD chip.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
The problem most likely is that you went with a AMD platform instead of an Intel. I am not biased. I own both Intel and AMD systems.
Its just the way it is. AMD and vid cards, don't play nice nice together. Intel does. Sorry....

Keys

your stupid

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003 The problem most likely is that you went with a AMD platform instead of an Intel. I am not biased. I own both Intel and AMD systems. Its just the way it is. AMD and vid cards, don't play nice nice together. Intel does. Sorry.... Keys
your stupid

Very, Very much so.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Spoken like true fanboys. I speak from experience people. And why would you call someone you dont even know "stupid"? Isn't that, in of itself, stupid?
I'm not here to war with you fanboys, I knew I shouldn't have replied to the thread. I like AMD! Yes! Get it through your thick scalps. But not for my gaming.
So please don't call me stupid for giving my opinion. I was only trying to help the threadmaker.
Just a side note, are you fanboys?

Thanks,

Keys.

hollowman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
Spoken like true fanboys. I speak from experience people. And why would you call someone you dont even know "stupid"? Isn't that, in of itself, stupid?
I'm not here to war with you fanboys, I knew I shouldn't have replied to the thread. I like AMD! Yes! Get it through your thick scalps. But not for my gaming.
So please don't call me stupid for giving my opinion. I was only trying to help the threadmaker.
Just a side note, are you fanboys?

Thanks,

Keys.

It's not about being a fanboy... It's just your statement is false how Intel works better with vid cards.

That has nothing to do with G200 running hot.

mrzed, if you are worried your card may fry, why don't you add an active cooling on the heatsink/PCI fan next to the card.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Spoken like true fanboys. I speak from experience people.

Yeah ok there Mr. 30-posts...I have a feeling that the diamond members have more "experience" than you.

To answer your question, mrzed, videocards generally run very hot, especially if they are only passively cooled. A good solution would be to install an old Pentium-class fan onto the heatsink (or whatever size would fit). I hope this helps.

dzt

Jan 22, 2003
mine amd works just fine with graphic cards, and recently working real great with mx440, without any heat issue.
I've built many amd k-7 (duron up) systems for my peers, and maintain one old amd k-6 in my office, and none works like mr. keysplayr2003 wrote.
although amd's processor generally hotter than intel, most problems I found is due to chipset (VIA if I'm not wrong, brought good performance but has some stability issue)

suggest you look at matrox g200 site, or test site. you'll find some answer there.
but firstly, get newer via 4 in 1 driver, and heatsink/fan.

mrzed

Jan 29, 2001
I never would have thought this post had flame potential, but then all it takes is one.

I'm perfectly happy with my choice of an AMD platform, thanks. Even though it's my first time, and I do generally think Intel might have a slight edge in overall compatibility, it is just ignorant to think that is my problem.

I was concerned enough that I did screw an old 50mm fan on top of the heatsink. It does make a difference, and it should be enough to get me through to the 8500 when next I get paid. I still think something is wonky, because I used the same card in an older system and it was never that hot. It only has to last a week, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it's not a sign of more serious trouble.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: mrzed
I never would have thought this post had flame potential, but then all it takes is one.

I'm perfectly happy with my choice of an AMD platform, thanks. Even though it's my first time, and I do generally think Intel might have a slight edge in overall compatibility, it is just ignorant to think that is my problem.

I was concerned enough that I did screw an old 50mm fan on top of the heatsink. It does make a difference, and it should be enough to get me through to the 8500 when next I get paid. I still think something is wonky, because I used the same card in an older system and it was never that hot. It only has to last a week, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it's not a sign of more serious trouble.

I don't think the fact that the card is running hot is that much of a concern. Even in games with a passive cooler, I think it should be fine. In windows (not a 3d app) you shouldn't even worry about the card running too hot. You seem to have everything configured fine, as long as you don't have the FSB way overclocked so the AGP speed is up there, then it's ok.

Don't listen to keysplayr2003 at all. He means well, I'm sure, but he is seriously misinformed. There is virtually no difference between AMD and Intel platforms in stability and compatibility. Intel has a hair of a lead, but it's not even an issue anymore. Perhaps keysplayr2003 had a problem with an original Athlon or something, but I assure you that the KT333 chipset is fine.

As for adding the 50mm heatsink - that's a smart thing to do. I did that with an original Radeon DDR to get a bit better of an overclock out of it, and it helps drop the temps a bit. You're not going to fry anything even if the G200 goes kaput (unless the whole case catches on fire, of course ;) )

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

That's too bad that you don't like AMD for gaming, because the current T-bred B is such a great overclocker (at about 2.5+ GHz o/ced on air) is about the fastest gaming platform you can get right now, even better than the P4 3.06!

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
You really got me there sickbeast. I'll just take my 30 teeny posts and 14+ years of experience with me.
DZT you are correct about the VIA chipsets. Many compatability issues.
Oh, by the way, has any of you nice folks ever purchased a AMD MoBo and it has a warning sticker covering the AGP slot
with a list of 5 or 6 compatable vid cards on it? Or how bout this, have any of you recently visited the Motherboards forum here?
A good majority of all threads concerning vid card compatability with "my" mobo, are AMD platforms. I will say this again, and please
forgive my 31 miniscule posts, Its not the AMD CPU's, but the mobo chipsets that have the probs.

Thanks for lending ears folks, even though I got pounded for trying to lend a hand. I thought that is what these forums are for.

Keys

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
AMD and vid cards, don't play nice nice together. Intel does. Sorry...

Spoken like true fanboys

Seems to me you're the fanboy here. And that's from MY 800+ posts and 20+ years of experience with computers. In case you're wondering, I began with the Commodore PET computers.

The reason you're getting pounded is from making a blanket statement that all AMD chipsets have problems with video cards. EVERY chipset has its quirks. AMD systems are as stable and compatible as Intel these days. I could remind you of the i820/840 platforms that caused quite a few compatibility problems, not to mention incredibly hindering performance.

mrzed - The suggestion of adding a small fan to the heatsink of your G200 is a good one. You may also want to look at how well your case is ventilated/cooled. If you don't already have a fan in the bottom front of the case blowing in and there's a cutout for one I would suggest adding one. You may be building up a lot of heat in the case from the CPU, video card, motherboard, network card, sound card, etc... that the single fan in the power supply can't remove quickly enough.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
You really got me there sickbeast. I'll just take my 30 teeny posts and 14+ years of experience with me.
DZT you are correct about the VIA chipsets. Many compatability issues.
Oh, by the way, has any of you nice folks ever purchased a AMD MoBo and it has a warning sticker covering the AGP slot
with a list of 5 or 6 compatable vid cards on it? Or how bout this, have any of you recently visited the Motherboards forum here?
A good majority of all threads concerning vid card compatability with "my" mobo, are AMD platforms. I will say this again, and please
forgive my 31 miniscule posts, Its not the AMD CPU's, but the mobo chipsets that have the probs.

Thanks for lending ears folks, even though I got pounded for trying to lend a hand. I thought that is what these forums are for.

Keys

If AMD is such a garbage platform with such limited compatibility then why are they even in the market? If they're such trash why would anyone buy them? Also, you "got pounded" not for trying to lend a hand, but for posting a false generalization in "AMD and vid cards, don't play nice nice together. Intel does." If anything sounds fanboyish, it's this claim that AMD has such problems.

With your 14 years of experience, shouldn't you be able to figure out that of all the problems with AMD and video cards, that running hot is not one of them. He didn't say he's having crashes, incompatibility, etc, just that he thinks the card is running a little hot for his liking. Don't you think this would be an issue with, hmm, the VIDEO CARD?

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also, try not to have another card in the slot directly below your video card. If you have a card there, try moving it to a lower slot. Having a card in the PCI slot directly below your AGP video card will cause an ENORMOUS amount of heat to be trapped between the two. It can also cause instabilities since since the AGP port and first PCI slot share resources. Always try to maximize the amount of space between your video card and the next card.

Goose77

Aug 25, 2000
AGREES with CREIG!!!

also no one mentions that it could be that the card is now running in AGP 4x mod. MAYBE the card was in 2x on the other system and you just didnt realize. IT's always possible!!!!

there could also be other reasons that no one has thought about. JUST PUT A HUGE FAN AND OVERCLOCK THAT BADBOY!!! your getting an 8500 anyways!

Edit
and Keysplayr2003 - i have 5+ years experience and even i know your statement is just asinine. come on dood i dont know any chip set that would cause and vid card to heat up like that unless it was defective and supplied too much volts to the vid. And that problem could happen on any platform! Also, now a days, some chipset manufactures do overvolt a bit because of the amount of people OC'in there equipment!!! i wouldnt be surprised if this is the problem either!

kilmanjaro

Jun 16, 2001

Keys

Ya know, he really does have a point. It makes so much sense that a chipset incompatability would result in a card running too hot. Man, why didn't I think of this? Astounding! Tell me, is it true that my LED case fans are incompatible with my AMD motherboard?

Anyhow, back to the author's question. I use something similar to this. I'm a little too shy to pry the heatsink off my card. I've generally had decent experience with them. And although they aren't going to cool your case by any means, they're alright for cooling the area directly around your vid card (plus they're cheap and silent).