I need a proper email account soon for the for sale/trade forum

Satyrist

Dec 11, 2000
Since it seems that my current isp is no longer actively advertising that they are selling dialup accounts anymore, and it seems that most of the support people have all but left it, it sounds as though I'll need to start shopping around for another isp...I'm strictly looking for it to be used for email alone, but I'd also like to sign up with an email service that's going to be acceptable under the for sale/trade forum's rules.

Since I haven't been able to find it anyplace in any of the forums, I thought I'd ask and see which service, or isp, would work best.

thanks

Satyrist

Dec 11, 2000
what about This one?

It's around the same as registering a domain, though I believe it's for around $15/year here..

I've been toying with the idea of a domain already anyhow, if it has email accts included, even better.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Satyrist
what about This one?

It's around the same as registering a domain, though I believe it's for around $15/year here..

I've been toying with the idea of a domain already anyhow, if it has email accts included, even better.

3-95.com = dixiesys.com = the same :D

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'll try to answer your question a little better this morning now that I'm not so tired.

I reccomend that you stick with local ISPs because they tend to be better in service, but if you should decide on a national ISP seems that Earthlink gets reccomended the most.

When searching for an ISP you need to do some research before you commit to one. Ask them what their user to modem ratio is. If it's 10 to 1 or less this is good. AOL keeps it well over 50 to 1.

Also, ask them what kind of backbone they have going to the net. The more connections along with the total bandwidth mean the better your chances of sustaining a good connection.

Once you decide on an ISP you might want to ask what brand of modem the ISP uses and buy yourself that brand. Seems modems of similar cofigurations like one another.

Satyrist

Dec 11, 2000
Thanks for the information, guys.

Godaddy looked like the best deal for what I'll need

I just registered my domain, next step will be hosting; Dixiesys looks nice--I think I'll probably take the $39.95/year plan, just so I have some extra bandwidth to grow, should I need to.

For the emails alone, It's likely cheaper than signing up with a dialup, and I think it unlikely I'll ever go over my traffic limit for the month.

Again, thanks for the advice!

-------------------------------------
www.satyrist.com coming soon!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I think you made the right choice, congrats on registering your own domain name and obtaining web hosting.

Dixiesys.com is the best!

Satyrist

Dec 11, 2000
Well, still need to wait as far as setting up hosting, the registration for the domain still needs to go through, I believe.

The reciept stated it would take up to one business day, I'm in no hurry though. :)

Later

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I just re-read your thread title and thought of yet another added benefit to getting your own domain/hosting/e-mail.

You can also host pictures/specs/links to the merchandise you're selling on your own website!

No more Yahoo or GeoCities or any of those other freebie sites!

Satyrist

Dec 11, 2000
very excellent point!

Yet another excuse for me to start using my Nikon Coolpix 4500! :)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Satyrist
very excellent point!

Yet another excuse for me to start using my Nikon Coolpix 4500! :)

Most definitely ... it will be so nice for you though never having to change your e-mail address ever again.

I wish I had registered my own domain back in 1994 when I started surfing the net, one e-mail addy for life.

Satyrist

Dec 11, 2000
I'm not so sure I'll necessarily use it for fleabay (I hardly use it anymore), but this site has some good info, thanks!