I need a new indoor antenna

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I have a older Radio Shack antenna that I got for $15 (it was the older Radio Shack "HDTV" antenna that had a picture frame in it) that I've been using on a bedroom TV. It got all of our local analog channels, but CBS (almost impossible to get without a outdoor antenna here). Recently I added a Zenith Converter box to try out some digital channels, and keep the older TV going. I was surprised that I got CBS fine, and the rest of my locals. One thing I have noticed is the signal quality is around halfway on most channels, but higher on PBS and NBC (the closest towers).

FOX is real hard to get, but if I can get the signal locked in its ok. I also get 2 channels that are about 70 miles away from me with a really good signal strength. They are also ABC stations, but come in with a better signal than my local ones.

Would getting a new antenna help? I need to keep it a indoor antenna, and I would like to get one locally. I'll probably go out during lunch tomorrow and pick one up, I'm just confused on which to get.

Will one with a amp help get a higher signal strength? Anything else I can do to improve the signal? The TV is on the 2nd story, and there are no tall trees, hills, or buildings nearby. All of the towers according to antennaweb are between 12 and 36 miles. CBS which is at 36 miles pulls in a good signal, while FOX doesn't and its closer to my home.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Does that Zenith converter box have at least a 5th generation tuner chip in it?

If so, maybe try a Silver Sensor type hdtv antenna and get 25 - 50 ft. of coax cable and move the antenna around till you find the spot with best reception.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Thanks. The extra ABC channels I can get are actually out of Charlotte, and I live a long way from there. Maybe the towers are closer. Its just odd that I get these.

So a amplified antenna wouldn't help at all?

I managed to get the Radio Shack antenna tuned in pretty good last night. Everything comes in good, but the signal level for FOX is still low. I might try out the Silver Sensor, and the video for making a antenna might come in useful.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
I would focus first on tuner chip, then on multipath resistant antenna like Silver Sensor.

It's also just possible that the station is transmitting a weak, or out of spec, hdtv signal. (reason I say this is my ATI HDTV Wonder always has had problems with local ABC channel, and same problem has popped up on other computer card based hdtv tuners).