I need a new HDTV antenna...

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Hello everyone, it seems I can barely break a 50% signal with my zenith silver star HD antenna, so I want to upgrade. First, does anyone know what color category the silver sensor falls into? According to this chart, I want to get either a blue or violet (I'd rather get the best and not have to worry about my signal). If I get a violet antenna, will it not work without a pre amp? I will have to run it over a 400-500 foot cable. Can anyone reccomend a good antenna? With the cost of RG 6 cable, I don't want to go over 150 dollars (I understand the MSRP on the site is high, but I searched on google and found better prices, around half). Thanks

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Also could someone else tell me what a diplexer is? Does anyone also know if it could be possible to take the cable going from the sattelite and the cable going from the antenna and use them in one cable? Or do I have to run 2 cables (one for sattelite one for antenna)? Thanks

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 50
Also could someone else tell me what a diplexer is? Does anyone also know if it could be possible to take the cable going from the sattelite and the cable going from the antenna and use them in one cable? Or do I have to run 2 cables (one for sattelite one for antenna)? Thanks

you can use a diplexer. you'll need two of them, one to combine the signals at the dish, and then one to seperate the signals at your box. If you have more than one LNB plus the antenna, then you need a special type of diplexer-multiswitch.

herewss a good info link http://www.hometech.com/learn/dss.html

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
I think I'd rather get an outdoor antenna. I found out what a diplexor is, so my question is now, do I have to buy 2 of these? I plan to diplex both of the signals outside the house then do I need a diplexer inside the house? Thanks

EDIT:NM thanks Technokid

BTW does anyone know if a preamp is neccessary for the antenna? Also is a satellite signal amplifier neccessary? I read that for cable over 300 feet, it is reccomended.

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Gunbuster
will have to run it over a 400-500 foot cable
:Q you live in a hole?

Well the original sattelite installer wrapped the cable literally around my house. Maybe I overexaggerated that, its more like 250 feet sorry. Anyways I won't need a cable if I can just use a diplexer. Thanks guys

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
How many miles out could the silver sensor reach towers?

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Originally posted by: aphex

I really am not sure, all I know is if I got up off the couch the signal was lost, so I was just barely getting it.

BTW: how hard is it to install one of these? I assume I'll need a special kind of mount. I remember when I was planning on getting my sattelite dish on my roof, they told me I need a non penetrating roof mount and cinder blocks. Will I need the same thing here? Typically how much would it cost for someone to install this?

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001

BTW: how hard is it to install one of these? I assume I'll need a special kind of mount. I remember when I was planning on getting my sattelite dish on my roof, they told me I need a non penetrating roof mount and cinder blocks. Will I need the same thing here? Typically how much would it cost for someone to install this?

Here: Text they ahve antennas and the mount systems. you can also buy dilpexers from them.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex

I really am not sure, all I know is if I got up off the couch the signal was lost, so I was just barely getting it.

If you go to http://www.antennaweb.org, it will show you how far away your digital stations are, and which antennas it reccomends for those distances. :)

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
For the love of all things good and wholesome, no Terk, please please please. :(

What's the distance you need? All UHF?

For something discrete, there's the Winegard Square Shooter. Good medium range antenna (30-70 miles). If you need something longer, there's the ChannelMaster 4228 (30-100 miles or so). Antenna's Direct makes an 8-bay unit which is slightly better than the 4228, IMHO (I tested them both in exactly the same location), but it's more expensive.

That's quite a long distance for the cable run. You'll want RG11, or at least quad shielded RG6.

Use a ChannelMaster 7777 amplifier. It's one of the best (high gain, extremely low noise).

More info:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
You do not need a special antenna to get HDTV reception. the only thing you need is a HDTV set.

edit: that didnt sound right. My point is. HDTV is broadcasted using the same radio waves as regular tv. any antenna will pickup a HDTV signal, you just need a HDTV to see HDTV.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
The silvesensors are the best indoor antennas you can buy.... The only way to upgrade will be a larger antenna mounted outside somewhere. Have you tried adjusting your signal at all I know the silver sensors are VERY directional (they have to be pointed right at the broadcast antenna)

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Hello all. I did go to that site and I was surprised to see all of the towers were within 10-20 miles from me. I've literally tried every single direction for my silverstar arod, I can't get a good signal. The website reccomends a RED antenna. All I will need is UHF also. Does anyone know the color rating on the silversensor so I can get an idea of what I need (in case the website is wrong). Maybe I'll check out a blue one just to be safe. Thanks everyone

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
The silversensor should be able to tune any antenna within 50 miles (not sure of its raing exactly but people over at AVS use it for a reson)

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
well I'm not sure what the problem is then. Also I called an antenna installation place and if I were to get a winegard 7037 installed it would cost 375 (including a non-penetrating roof mount). I never knew antenna installation was this expensive, so now I'm not really sure I want to get an outdoor antenna.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I wouldn't waste my time, money or space on anything less than the Channel Master Crossfire 3671.

Personally, I use a Channel Master 4228 for UHF and a Jerrold VIP-307SR for VHF. Nice for when I want to watch the local news from a city 100 miles away. :)

PCHPlayer

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2001
I use a cheap $10 RCA antenna (similar to this one) that sits on the small ledge on the top of my DLP TV and it works great. Of course I live in L.A. which has good reception in most of the basin due to the transmitters being on top of a 8000 ft. (guess) mountain.