I need a new desk chair

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
im pretty sure some of you here can offer me some ideas, looking through the office depo catalog and nothing seems to strike my fancy, so here i am

so what do you suggest

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I'm in the same camp. Most anything at Staples <$150 is a waste. I've been through 4 of those chairs in the last 4 years and they all have bottomed out (butt pretty much sits on top of the metal support/pneumatic lifter) within 8 months of 4 hr per day usage.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Count me in on this, too. Though something close to $150 or less would be nice. :)

I've got a $100 Office Max special right here; it's getting a bit flat, but it's got a little cushioniness to it still. I think it's got the standard polyurethane foam.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Why don't you go to the nearest office store and sit your fat ass in a couple and see which one gets your jollies off?

Gilligansdingy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Why don't you go to the nearest office store and sit your fat ass in a couple and see which one gets your jollies off?

They make chairs for under $350 that will get your jollies off?????? Boy is my local corner girl gonna be mad at me.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Tiamat
I'm in the same camp. Most anything at Staples <$150 is a waste. I've been through 4 of those chairs in the last 4 years and they all have bottomed out (butt pretty much sits on top of the metal support/pneumatic lifter) within 8 months of 4 hr per day usage.

That's because you're sitting on a block of polyurethane foam. Get something with springs or air.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
Make friends with an architect or designer. Designer discounts run 40-75% off stuff from humanscale, herman miller, etc. it's tough to beat $300 for a freedomchair.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
psh im sitting on my bed because i dont even have a desk. One of these days i am going to develop back problems.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Rubycon

That's because you're sitting on a block of polyurethane foam. Get something with springs or air.

Maybe I've fallen victim to marketing but at the Office Depot store they have cushion ratings depending on the usage model of the chair. I know for the low usage models (1-2 hrs a day) the cushion bottoms out. I'm wondering if I just get one rated for 'intensive use' will that be a good guarantee that the cushion won't wear out anytime soon?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Skeeedunt
I just got this one, and I'm pretty happy with it so far: http://www.officedepot.com/ddS...earchFlag=true&An=text

Definitely sit in whatever you're looking at before you buy it though.

Most chairs feel alright when you sit in it for 30 minutes at the store. What I really want is a chair that can last years without bottoming, but I cant test a chair in staples for that long ;p

Rubycon, any suggestions?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

Most chairs feel alright when you sit in it for 30 minutes at the store. What I really want is a chair that can last years without bottoming, but I cant test a chair in staples for that long ;p

Or a chair that I could sit in for several hours on end without feeling like ripping my spine out so I can massage away its pain.
Can't test endurance like that at a Staples. They'd probably throw you out after a few hours. :)

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Dubb
Make friends with an architect or designer. Designer discounts run 40-75% off stuff from humanscale, herman miller, etc. it's tough to beat $300 for a freedomchair.

Haha, I just customized a freedom chair and it cost 3,000. Impressive price range.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007

My aeron has lasted several years now. The only damage is what it did to my desk when I accidentally bumped it. It also feels good for sitting 5+ hours in it.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Skacer

My aeron has lasted several years now. The only damage is what it did to my desk when I accidentally bumped it. It also feels good for sitting 5+ hours in it.

I wish i had 1000$ to spend :( Those are indeed nice chairs, I have tried them out at the local Levenger.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
I wish i had 1000$ to spend :( Those are indeed nice chairs, I have tried them out at the local Levenger.

Last time we had this thread, people were talking about some pretty affordable used ones.

yours truly

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
i saw a massaging desk chair in comet the other day fo £99. which roughly translated is about (approx) US$1million

the ladies would probably love it

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have this chair. It's kinda hard to find in the US, but I found a link for it in the UK for $7,381. :Q

It's really nothing that special, it's just got some Italian designers signature on it and I guess that makes it worth a fortune. I bought it for $75 from a used office furniture place that obviously didn't know what they had.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

because the nearest office store is eaisily an hour away, and id rather not drive there

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Skacer

Last time we had this thread, people were talking about some pretty affordable used ones.

While that would save a lot of money, I dunno, something about buying a "used chair" bothers me... :/

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
All these replies and no real answers? Any suggestions on *where* to get these fancy nice chairs on the cheap?