I need a good photo printer that can print out alot of photos before running out of ink.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
I need a good photo printer that can print out alot of photos before running out of ink.

I currently have a Canon ip2600 , bought it about a month ago , I have not printed more than 30 photos and it is already very low on ink. Please recommend a printer that can print more before running out of ink.
BTW the ip2600 replaced an ip1700 and it was just as bad if not worse.

thanks

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sort of indeterminate. What size are you printing the photos? That has a direct bearing on how many you can print.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You might want to bring the photos on a memory card to the local Target store. They have a print service (as do many other places) and it will likely be much cheaper and faster if you have a lot to print. Most people only use the photo print feature of a printer for a few photos at a time, as it is both time consuming, photo paper is costly & the inks are very costly.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Yeah - Target or Costco. I take 1000s of pictures every quarter - and rarely ever consider printing any. I disseminate them as JPGs and let those who want prints waste their own $$$. :)

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
look into a CIS (Continuous Ink System) Mediastreet makes(made?) a sweeeet one. I can't find them on Google for a link for you sorry (I tried) the one I had as called the Niagara. I had it with 4 OZ ink bottles for each ink color. Was SUPER cheap to print, and great quality. I must have printed 200 4x6's and a few dozen 8x10's, and the ink bottles still looked full. Probably the best $250 I ever spent on an accessory.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
thanks guys, I will look into Target , Costco or any other stores in my area that do this.

I actually called Canon this morning and wanted to know what printers have the longest lasting ink and she told me the ones that take seperate color cartridges
all it all Target etc is our best bet for picture printings.

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
Most of the Big Box stores like Target and Costco use Extremly Expensive DyeSub printers and for what they charge for prints your just better off using a place like that vs making your own.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
My HP K5400 uses the 88 series ink tanks available in standard and "high capacity" versions. I bought a set of easily refillable tanks for it from ebay. It does photo printing that looks good to my eye (using a few of the advanced tweeks available in the HP driver), but not up to the quality of one of the later Canon IP4x00 units. It also has some inexplicable limitations like being unable to duplex legal size (8.5" x 14") sheets (which comes in very handy for printing out manuals for many commercial softwares from their PDF files). The HP's hardware duplexing option can't do it nor is there any capability for "flip the stack" duplexing in the driver - pretty damn stupid the way I see it. The Canon's that I've had could do it from the auto-duplex tray (way too slow for long documents, IMO) or flip the stack. The infamous HP inkjet misfeeding problems of old seem to arise if you try to rig a way to do a manual duplexing (flip the stack) on your own. So if flexible duplexing is important to you, you'll have to look elswhere than the K5400s, but it should do stacks of photo printing between tank changes (or refills). The K5400 series is large and quite noisy too, but at least it is still solidly built where the reports say that the new Canon IPs (e.g. IP4600) have declined sharply in build quality.

Continuous Ink Systems (CIS) are also available for the K4500 series and other HP models that use the 88 series of tanks. Generally, CIS are only available for printers that use separate tanks for each color. This K5400 series of printers makes it absurdly easy to do CIS as the tanks don't move with the heads unlike most other multi-tank printers.

.bh.

Athena

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
How much photo printing do you plan to do? A friend of mine bought one of those Kodak printers that were advertised on TV. I was rather sceptical but she's been very happy with both the quality and the low consumption of ink.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
bump^^^^ I never did buy another printer, anything new on the market for color printer with longer lasting cartridges?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Canon is the consensus choice on various photoprinting forums, but sadly the Canon model you bought has very small ink tanks that run out quickly.

As Zepper points out the pixma ip4x00 group of printers have much larger ink tanks, and all colors are individual. Rather than using tri-color cartridges.

As for me, I am still running using somewhat one of the original non chipped Canon's in a pixma ip4000. It has 28cc ink tanks for text black, and 4 15cc ink tanks for all dye based photo colors. I can refill it dirt cheap, and the tanks are large enough to keep going and going.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
Canon is the consensus choice on various photoprinting forums, but sadly the Canon model you bought has very small ink tanks that run out quickly.

As Zepper points out the pixma ip4x00 group of printers have much larger ink tanks, and all colors are individual. Rather than using tri-color cartridges.

As for me, I am still running using somewhat one of the original non chipped Canon's in a pixma ip4000. It has 28cc ink tanks for text black, and 4 15cc ink tanks for all dye based photo colors. I can refill it dirt cheap, and the tanks are large enough to keep going and going.

Well I finally got someone on the telephone at Canon that knew their products well.
She said my ip2600 is rated for about 70 4x6 pictures, I told her it was more like 20.
She recommended the MG5120 which is rated for 210 pictures, I just picked up a Canon Pixma MG5220 for $99.99 shipped from jr.com

I am not expecting 200 pictures , I will be happy if I can get 100 good quality 4x6s from it. :)

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
A while back I got my Dad a Digital Camera and Photo Printer for his birthday. I got him the Epson Picturemate. Unfortunately they are a little pricey these days. $150 ish to start. What I really liked about it is that you buy print packs instead of seperate ink and paper. A box of 100 comes with enough ink the in the cartridge to print 100 photos. (4x6). You can even return unused paper to epson for a pro-rated refund if you run out of ink early. Though, my dad hasn't had to do that.

Cost per print is between 24 and 36 cents a print, depending on the print pack you buy, and from where. I really do like the simplicity of paper and ink in one box with enough of both.