I need a dirt cheap computer for my grandmother

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
My grandmother was running an old 400 mhz HP desktop which finally gave up the ghost, or so I hear. She now has an old 166 mhz Dell laptop up and running and supporting this thing (running win98) over the phone is painful.

So I need to get her a dirt cheap PC .. budget is $4-500. I got her a Dell desktop with a 19" flat panel for her house in the north a couple years ago for < $400, but I haven't seen any deals like that lately.

Any place right now to get a cheap desktop? Might I be better off to build it and ship it to her?

My guess is that my best bet is an online retailer and ship it directly to her.

Also, anyone know of a way to talk her off of AOL dialup and onto at least a DSL so I can do remote support? Hindering me in this quest is the way DSL is horribly overpriced in her part of FL from her local phone company.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
thanks. I hadn't run across those dell deals. looks about what I'm looking for.

As for the visit, as much as I'd love to head to FL this time of year, I can't get the time away from work right now.

narreth

May 4, 2007
dell really has some AMAZING deals these days, assuming the pcs will not be used for gaming. I mean seriously, $380 including a monitor?!