I need a black, USB, IBM/Lexmark Model M clone keyboard

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Anyone making anything like that these days? Or did they ever make anything like that?

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
PCKeyboard/Unicomp has the rights to the original IBM keyboard via Lexmark. So if that's what you want (and you don't want used), then that's to only place to get them. Doesn't really matter whar RR has to say... I see that PCKeyboard.com (Unicomp) does have a listing on RR, but it's empty - hey, you can be the first... ;)

And you can get PS/2 to USB converters for under $10. if you'd as soon get a used one.

.bh.

Aug 23, 2000
<---Hugs his box of Compaq server keyboards he picked up at 1st Saturday a couple of years ago for $5.

Mine, they are all MINEE!!!!!!!!!! MUWAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Long live the clicky with no windows keys.

bassoprofundo

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
www.heatware.com
If you're wanting a genuine IBM/Lexmark, they are out there, but only in PS/2 form, and they command a serious premium over their beige counterparts. I happen to have two of these beauties (one for work, one for home) that I managed to pick up during a office cleanout. They were brand new in-the-box, and I wouldn't trade 'em for the world. I use a $5 PS/2 to USB converter on the work one, and it works great. Clickykeyboards.com occasionally gets some of these in, and you can also occasionally snag one on E-bay. Like I said, though, it will cost you. :(

PIC #1 of my baby
PIC #2

(Pics not for the faint of bandwidth)

bassoprofundo

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
www.heatware.com
I would say so, except that with them you're stuck with those "metallic gray" keycaps, which IMHO, look hideous compared to an all black setup. I have thought about grabbing one from there several times, but those keys have kept me away... well... that and the fact that it would probably take a direct hit from a tank to destroy my current keyboards. :) I have a stash of the beige ones, too, should these ever go down. I used to work for IBM and grabbed a bunch that were being tossed before I left. It's great that somebody's still keeping the design alive. The person that invented those mushy rubber membranes used in keyboards now should be shot...

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
I dislike black keys intensely. I have them because that's the only color this particular kbd offers.

.bh.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: bassoprofundo
If you're wanting a genuine IBM/Lexmark, they are out there, but only in PS/2 form, and they command a serious premium over their beige counterparts. I happen to have two of these beauties (one for work, one for home) that I managed to pick up during a office cleanout. They were brand new in-the-box, and I wouldn't trade 'em for the world. I use a $5 PS/2 to USB converter on the work one, and it works great. Clickykeyboards.com occasionally gets some of these in, and you can also occasionally snag one on E-bay. Like I said, though, it will cost you. :(

PIC #1 of my baby
PIC #2

(Pics not for the faint of bandwidth)

Dang that thing looks slick! I wish that PCkeyboard had an all black one, did not know lexmark built one.

bobeedee

Jun 18, 2001
I sent a custom request to Unicomp for black keys on the Raven Black Customizer 104 and received the following response: "we no longer make the all black model with white printing; however, we still have sets of black unprinted buttons. If you are interested in an unprinted keyboard (all black), we can make for you for an additional $10 above the standard price." Too bad-I would by 2 if I could get it in all black (with white printing).

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Dang, I wish they would put the letters on them, I would pay them more for it, I guess I could put the letters on myself. What shade of gray are the keys on the thing that is the stock black/silver one? Is it say the same color as the gray on a Logitech MX518 or Dell 2001FP base?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: bobeedee
The color is listed as "Metallic Gray" Here is the link to the picture and description: Text

Man that is ugly.

Also, do the Yahoo stores offer buyer's protection and do they handle the billing?

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Too bad I read this late and hope the price difference was not outragous for a PS/2 version vs USB. PS/2 to USB adapters are available at any mom's and pop's computer store for less then $4

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Well, they sent me the wrong keyboard :(

But, it got here in 2 days via UPS ground:shocked:

The customer service rep was friendly (was an American and I did not have to wait on hold) and they mailed me the correct one immediately with a voucher to ship the incorrect one back to them for free. Excellent support!

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Well, the correct one came in today, UPS smashed it, but only one key does not work from the UPS damage (which I fixed). Great keyboard, color could use some work, an all black one would be really nice, but so far I am loving it!

Unicomp for the win:thumbsup:

oztrailrider

Dec 8, 2005
I am seriously thinking about getting one of these for myself. I absolutely used to love my old Model M, pity the spacebar died. I would love it if they came in all black, I think the grey keys contrast too much against the black body, I do have a couple of beige boxes here that I could get a beige one for. At least someone out there is still making them!. The original IBM ones are really fetching a premium on clickykeyboards.com.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: oztrailrider
I am seriously thinking about getting one of these for myself. I absolutely used to love my old Model M, pity the spacebar died. I would love it if they came in all black, I think the grey keys contrast too much against the black body, I do have a couple of beige boxes here that I could get a beige one for. At least someone out there is still making them!. The original IBM ones are really fetching a premium on clickykeyboards.com.

The contrast is not as bad as you think, it is a dark gray.