I need a BIOS "mod" for a Clevo laptop (hard limited CPU speed).

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Recently bought a Sager (Clevo N155RD) with a 6700HQ and come to find out they hard locked the CPU to idle speed (under 1600MHz) when on battery. This is just flat out entirely unacceptable.

I know I can't expect max speed on battery, but the CPU should be allowed to self regulate and at least run up to base clocks when needed. I paid a bunch of money for a high end laptop so I could get work done on the go...nowhere was it mentioned that it was locked to some unusable state if you needed to unplug for a bit.

Of course they deny this is a problem and want to refuse any sort of returns...so I'm hoping I can find some other solution. I don't want to resort to a messy chargeback, but I don't feel I got what I paid for. This thing is slower than a tablet like the SP4.

I don't know the first thing about BIOS coding, but I know people do all kinds of crazy firmware mods and such. I'm hoping it's possible to modify and reinstall the BIOS so it's properly functioning. Anybody here who can help me, or maybe point me to somebody who can? Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've got an Asus X401A, a 14" early "UltraBook", with a Sandy Pentium B970 or 980 in it. Nominal speed with AC plugged in is 2.3Ghz. Great, right? On battery, it runs at only 800Mhz. My 1007U netbook is comparable.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Perhaps I misunderstand, but maybe you didn't know this. For a long time windows has had a separate setting for CPU speed under battery and power. Set it at what you like and check with CPUZ to see results. Have you tried this setting? In Win7 it is under Control panel/ power/ balanced/ change plan settings/ change advanced power settings. I assume you have win10.
View of the setting window. http://superuser.com/questions/565347/how-does-windows-limit-the-cpu-power-options-battery-saving

If this is helpful, great. Please ignore if I've misunderstood.

Jim