I need a better solution for watching movies/tv shows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Plex client is available for rpi though.
I was just thinking about something like this so you don't have to maintain another Pi.

I really like Roku. I used to be big on my Vizio, but Roku's done better with apps overall and like that it's baked into one of my TVs.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't really care about using the PI, I can just use the web interface I assume it has one? That way there's nothing to really maintain on it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was just thinking about something like this so you don't have to maintain another Pi.

I really like Roku. I used to be big on my Vizio, but Roku's done better with apps overall and like that it's baked into one of my TVs.
Op mentioned rpi :shrug:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Op mentioned rpi :shrug:
I know...first post he was complaining about the code on the pi breaking. I've done enough with Pi's to not want to have to reimage and waste time resetting everything to make it work again...was cool the first time. The problem with all the opensource projects out there is security updates and change management...even the plex for the pi could possibly run into issues because of the OS layer. That's why I was suggesting dropping it and going the packaged app route on something that gets updated more automatically. I'm starting to drop things that I don't want to deal with anymore and streamline what I invest in.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The Pi is just a means to get to a browser, by using a browser I don't need to worry about maintaining anything that's local such as an app or anything like that.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Seems exactly what you wanted.

Don't have my own archives, so don't know how accurate it is judging whether a video is fully watched.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Plex works well, and yes....follow plex's guidelines for file namin, library setups, etc...

Use filebot software to make it easier to rename stuff

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I like Roku as well, but lately I've been eye balling a Nvidia shield