I nearly killed myself and a friend tonight...with a golf cart...while sober! *now with video*

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Talk about livening up your game a bit!

We went to an executive course outside of town. The 17th hole is at the top of a hill with about a 25 degree incline. For those who don't know inclines - for every 100 feet of the hill, it goes up/down 25 feet...so, needless to say, it was a pretty damn steep hill.

Anywhoo...there's a gravel cart path, but the recent rains of 4 inches in under an hour have left it pretty much undriveable due to 4"-6" ruts. So I decide to take the grass down.

Bad choice.

It was going on dark, and the nightly dew had set in making the grass wet. I start heading down the hill. Start gaining speed. See a huge bump ahead. Hit the breaks.

NOTHING happens. The breaks did nothing, and we continue to decend the hill at a speed no golf cart should ever reach. We hit the bump, clear all four wheels off the ground and land. The cart manages to go sideways, sliding on the nice, wet grass.

We hit another bump, causing the cart to go on two wheels, knocking my friend off of it. The cart spins backwards and nearly runs over my friend as he is franticly trying to roll out of the way.

I eventually get the cart under control after doing a complete 360, and bring it to a stop halfway down the hill.

I probably left an imprint of my fingers on the steering wheel, and my friend was shaken, but okay.

Moral of the story....don't take a golf cart with bad breaks down a big ass hill at 30+ MPH in wet grass. Bad things happen.

But, it added some excitement to the night, that's for damn sure!

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Now, that is a video I would pay to see.

Dunno if anyone here watches King of Queens, but there was one episode where the wife was driving a golf cart (pissed at husband) and threw him off or something, but he was flailing around trying to get back on and she wasnt slowing down, it was really funny.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Talk about livening up your game a bit!

We went to an executive course outside of town. The 17th hole is at the top of a hill with about a 25 degree incline. For those who don't know inclines - for every 100 feet of the hill, it goes up/down 25 feet...so, needless to say, it was a pretty damn steep hill.

Anywhoo...there's a gravel cart path, but the recent rains of 4 inches in under an hour have left it pretty much undriveable due to 4"-6" ruts. So I decide to take the grass down.

Bad choice.

It was going on dark, and the nightly dew had set in making the grass wet. I start heading down the hill. Start gaining speed. See a huge bump ahead. Hit the breaks.

NOTHING happens. The breaks did nothing, and we continue to decend the hill at a speed no golf cart should ever reach. We hit the bump, clear all four wheels off the ground and land. The cart manages to go sideways, sliding on the nice, wet grass.

We hit another bump, causing the cart to go on two wheels, knocking my friend off of it. The cart spins backwards and nearly runs over my friend as he is franticly trying to roll out of the way.

I eventually get the cart under control after doing a complete 360, and bring it to a stop halfway down the hill.

I probably left an imprint of my fingers on the steering wheel, and my friend was shaken, but okay.

Moral of the story....don't take a golf cart with bad breaks down a big ass hill at 30+ MPH in wet grass. Bad things happen.

But, it added some excitement to the night, that's for damn sure!

hahahahahahahaha
ive done exactly teh same thing

hill might not have been as steep but our cart rolled. luckily it was teh kind that had a top and we didnt get killed

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
While sober? I'm still drunk after my round today. Tee time at 2:40 pm (just after work), drank 15 beer, golfed in 28 degree (celcius) weather with not a cloud in the sky and calm winds; it's now 9:24 and I'm about ready for bed. Ahhh what a life.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
There's an important lesson to be learned from this: Never ever play golf sober!!

Lesson 2 is that golf carts are for sissies. The only reason to even consider a golf cart is that it makes it easier to carry a cooler or keg. Since you were not carrying a cooler or keg and used a cart anyway, the golfing gods made an example of you. Be thankful that you did not feel their full wrath where you would have been forced to explain to the course manager how you managed to sink a cart in a lake.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
vi, you are amazing. Like sluggo said, I'd pay to see that video.

BTW, you gonna sue? Its the american way! :p

-PAB

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Awesome. I think everyone I know has almost killed themselves with a golf cart. It's amazing how dangerous a vehicle that can hardly hit 15mph can be. :)

A few years ago, I saw a drunk kid try to jump a campus maintenance golf cart off a 10 foot mound of topsoil. He started about 25 yards away, but instead of the cart going up and over the mound as he intended, it stuck at the base of the mound and he flew headfirst into the pile of dirt. Then he got arrested. Man, was that funny.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I know, I'm not supposed to play sober...but it's sort of tough to drink on the course when you don't have a DD either on it...or on the way home.

Oh, and I found a video reenactment of the incident!

Jan 18, 2001
ROFL

pretty effen funny story. good thing you are both ok.... could of been bad!

You can do some pretty good stunt driving in golf carts on wet grass... :cool:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Man Vi, that was some of the best visual writing I have read in a while. I LMAO.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I can't help but bust out laughing about the the whole thing now. That dew commercial sums it up for me. When the guys land, look at each, other, pause for a second, and then through their arms up and yell, that's exactly what I feel like :D

I do have a question though - if one of us had managed to get squished under the cart, would we have qualified for a Darwin Award? :p

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
ROTFLMAO!!!:D

You need to relay this story to all the people out there that think golf is boring. ;)