• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

I must be retarded! HDHR-Prime, WMC and a 9-year-old non-HDCP-compliant laptop

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
There are times when I feel accomplished. There are times when I feel stupid. There are times when I think I accomplished something years later than it should've taken, because I'm stupid.

So it started with the Jack Valenti Media Nazis, DRM and HDCP. And I developed a confusion about whether or not I could use the HDHR' with non-HDCP hardware. I held the thought of it at arm's length. Maybe I experimented enough to give me hope to the possibilities, but I didn't much pursue it.

My first and only laptop is a 2007-release Gateway E-475M-G. I swapped out the 2x 1GB RAM for 2x4GB; replaced the Intel Wireless-G with an Intel Wireless-N and found the antennae needed by the latter were already in the machine waiting for it. It's a little Centrino C2D @ 2.4 Ghz. And I now have a dual-boot Win7/Win10 configuration for it with SSD-space to spare for each OS.

But like I said, I'd wondered if I could use the HDHR' and still watch unencrypted channels. Apparently, I can. One can then, of course, delete the DRM/Premium/encrypted channels from the WMC channel-lineup. If you don't, and you select one from the WMC channel Guide, it will lock up your machine until you terminate WMC. Of course, you can see it coming: the wireless connection speed drops precipitously as one of these verboten channels begins to play, then stutter, then freeze.

Everything you see in the configuration menus would suggest that "you can't do it." If you go through the setup screens for "TV signal" in WMC, it will bring you to a point where it tells you "not HDCP compliant. You cannot use Digital CableCARD."

But then, what am I using, if I choose only to watch unencrypted content? It's all coming through the digital cable-Card and HDHR'.

So -- great. I can now take my laptop out into the garden and watch MSNBC while pruning my tomatoes.

Just had to post to show how retarded I am, for taking so long to figure this out.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
if you have an android tablet, you could also install the HDHR View app and watch all of your channels.. to include encrypted.. while pruning your tomatoes.. no PC required.

(that, and a tablet is probably a more "fit and function" appropriate device for that particular task)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
if you have an android tablet, you could also install the HDHR View app and watch all of your channels.. to include encrypted.. while pruning your tomatoes.. no PC required.

(that, and a tablet is probably a more "fit and function" appropriate device for that particular task)
And -- as a matter of fact, and as a matter further proving that I'm retarded -- I have such a tablet. And it is an android tablet.

Somehow, this retarded-ness has something to do with aging. It is either cautious lack of hurry, or it is . . . retarded.

Somebody sent me this android tablet for Xmas. It's been sitting there, visited only occasionally, for the duration.

I just turned it on and navigated to Anandtech. I still feel uncomfortable with it. But I am promising myself that I'll have TV on it before end of next week.

Yes I will . . . and I'll report back here when I do succeed doing so.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
if it makes you feel any better, it took me almost a month to get my mom comfortable with using a tablet, but she is technology impaired

:)

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
And I suggested an expensive phone to my dad that he broke several months later...

Hard to find a techie that hasn't Dun Goofed once in a blue moon.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I jumped on microcomputers between 1982 and 1983. [that's what we called them then -- PCs are "microcomputers."]

So now I see this "Millennial Mobility obsession." People can call it something else. But I'm almost 69. I had better-than 20-20 vision until I was maybe 45. That coincided with my irritation for trying to read entries in the Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary. Not much different than shopping Newegg on your cell-phone -- it sucks. Distance vision was still 20-20 for maybe 15 years thereafter, but it, too, is slowly going south.

I look at it this way. You either feel comfortable flipping open your little Star-Trek device so you can "beam up" and plan your arrival at some "Rave" -- or you'd rather be equipped like the Cardassian Galactic Outpost Command Center on Gamma-Alpha 4.

You want to go around taking selfies like Kim Kardashian? Or do you want the Cardassian Galactic Outpost Command Center?

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001

I'll take the command center, but leave your tomatoes at home.. :)
(A "Trekkie" will get this reference....)

Actually, my main focus is the "Whole Home Entertainment", the millennials can keep their mobile focus... I consider remote access a "useful add-on" vice a foundational requirement...

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

I'll take the command center, but leave your tomatoes at home.. :)
(A "Trekkie" will get this reference....)

Actually, my main focus is the "Whole Home Entertainment", the millennials can keep their mobile focus... I consider remote access a "useful add-on" vice a foundational requirement...
I guess the thing that annoys me the most comes from my late-60-ish friends. High-school friends from the 60s, and late-60s in age.

If they were never very good at doing "Windows maintenance and configuration," always had trouble over power-outages and boot-up crises that lead to contact with Geek Squad, they may have decided to "go with the kids" and type abbreviated text with their thumbs. They're always trying to get me to "TXT" on my cellphone.

Why do I have to navigate through the social implications of my mobile-reticence? It ain't fair, I tell ya! Ain't fair!

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If they were never very good at doing "Windows maintenance and configuration," always had trouble over power-outages and boot-up crises that lead to contact with Geek Squad, they may have decided to "go with the kids" and type abbreviated text with their thumbs. They're always trying to get me to "TXT" on my cellphone.
That is the whole point of the mobile revolution. They are computers that are more easy/convenient to use than Windows PCs.

Why do I have to navigate through the social implications of my mobile-reticence? It ain't fair, I tell ya! Ain't fair!
Don't feel bad. I was 33 when I decided I would never join Snapchat. Everyone gets left behind eventually.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I refused to sell my soul to Facebook for free. I'll think about joining when they give me good money to be advertised to.

ASK THE COMMUNITY