I must be getting old; I don't understand streamers

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Maybe it's a sign I'm detached from the youngsters of the day, but I don't understand the allure of watching streamers. I'm all for a youtube channel that features gameplay videos, but watching someone play live and paying them for it baffles me. The whole seeing them in the corner, and the content they're playing, seems rather boring to me. I came across a reference to a video where this guy was playing essentially a chance card game that looked like something for mobile and just talking randomness while playing.

I probably sound old (I do to me), but I don't understand this.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Streaming is a popularity thing for many people, the more followers you have the cooler you are. I guess after the success college dropout Pewdiepie everyone wants in on it.

I'm in my 40s and I have watched a handful of streams and most of them are the same and the female ones scream attention seekers.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Streaming is a popularity thing for many people, the more followers you have the cooler you are. I guess after the success college dropout Pewdiepie everyone wants in on it.

I'm in my 40s and I have watched a handful of streams and most of them are the same and the female ones scream attention seekers.
I think a number of folks use it like the Baby Boomers use TV. Something that's on in the background that you may perk up to pay attention to from time to time.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't get many of the social media things that are popular, or how people with streams with zero substance have millions of followers and make money off it. It's live blogging about nothing.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
no different really from when we where one/two people would play the atari/c64/nintendo on the tv and the rest of us would watch

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
PewDiePie used to do 50mm hits per video.
He has levelled off at 3mm hits per video.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
It's really no different then watching them play on youtube except they can interact with their community and even more so on multiplayer games.

A lot of people will upload their twitch videos there also so you can watch them without the chat area as timezones and such can be a issue but if you watch people play on youtube it's not much different really.

As for paying it can be a way for their community to support them or join their in-game clan and interact with the streamers but it would be like removing adblock when watching them on youtube in a way. ;)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's a... "job", for some of them. The popular ones easily make thousands per week (anywhere from 1K to 5K, or even more). It does make me laugh, however, that someone would live off of sitting on their ass streaming themselves playing a video game for 4, 5 or 6 hours non-stop (with just a few short pauses here and there while leaving the stream on; whilst the chat looks at a paused game and an absent streamer in the corner of the screen), and literally doing that daily for some; or at least a few times a week. And, it's not a service, they themselves consider it a job (well, some do anyway). It's not like they're playing the game so that you don't have to. They're not flipping that burger at McDonald's so that you don't have to. They don't service people, they just entertain them.

The popular ones are lucky enough that they receive donations from complete strangers that they'll most likely never meet in person (unless they attend to some event / convention where they'll speak for maybe 2 hours, autograph stuff from the 'fans', answer some questions, take some selfies and then leave). And of course some are even sponsored, granted early(ier) access to games, paid to show them and praise them to "their audience" while doing so. But, yeah... I suppose it's just a relatively recent thing, it's been going on for how long, just a few years? And hey... it's " one way like any other " to make money, right? They're just as hard workers as the folks being exploited in factories at some assembly line all across the country for minimum wage. They're just as tired after an exhausting stream, as someone physically working for 8 to 10 hours a day and coming back home with just enough energy left to walk like a zombie toward the bedroom without the time nor the will to even shower first. Yeah, streamers are workers and they contribute a lot to society.

Bah, I'm complaining, but I for one do actually like one particular streamer, although he's also a YouTuber. Heck, in fact he started on YouTube, and eventually 'became a streamer' (I'm typing this as if it really was "a thing" to become a streamer; I guess it is by now isn't it). I discovered him on YouTube first, about two years ago or so, and I do like what he's doing there. However, it didn't take me long to realize that most of his videos are merely [edited] parts of a stream that he had a day or two prior. He's not only doing that on his channel, he also genuinely uploads unique videos specifically for YouTube; that's fine. Now, the thing about the guy in question is that he actually has a real job, where he's actually servicing for the consumers. So the fact the he manages to have a real job, plus a successful YouTube channel where he essentially uploads parts of his streams; and considering that his streams bring him hundreds if not occasionally some thousands per week when he's lucky with donations then... hell, why not huh? I am not subscribed to a single streamer out of principles, even though I do sometimes appreciate some of the "work" (entertainment) that some of the streamers can provide. A few live laughs here and there when I happen to watch them? Sure, but don't count on me to give you a single penny.

But I guess that I digressed here for three paragraphs. It's all about the concept itself isn't it? The very act of watching someone play something live. Well... that, in and of itself (excluding all of the above) isn't a problem in my book. If you want to watch somebody playing something live... well ok? Do it, it's your time after all, not mine. However, I do find it rather... stupid, when someone would watch a stream of a game that they already own and they themselves could play it right now... you know; instead of just watching someone play it. Now, that to me is a big waste of time. But if the streamer in question happens to be actually funny while he's streaming, he happens to entertain you and you feel like having a good laugh instead of actually playing the game that he is playing (that you also own) then fine, why not I guess? Then again, why would you 'subscribe', much less giving the guy money for sitting there playing a game? I mean I myself play games almost every day of my life, and I don't get paid for doing it. I guess I should start my own streams huh? Heck, there's not much of a difference between donating because you find the guy's "work" good on his streams, and paying to go watch a one man show of some humorist you like, is there?

So, in the end it's about streams being a form of live entertainment; and some lucky bastards live off of it. And we real workers have yet a new reason to get salty and jealous about something.

Last edited:
Reactions: thejunglegod

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah I like play videos which are pre-done, watch quite a few of them actually, but live streaming videos are pretty much exclusively terrible.

KT

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The only time I like streams is for fighting game tourneys and for someone playing a new game before it's out that I'm interested to see. Other than that like most have said they are terrible. Though I think developers could use them a bit more to interact with fans who are interested in their next project. Do a little Q&A session and show a few minutes of the engine and maybe some gameplay if they have some. This is underutilized by the industry really.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The only time I've watched streams are for games that aren't out yet (Shadow Warrior 2) and for people who are testing their mods for Grim Dawn. I've worked with people who watched streams religiously and I never understood that concept. They would go home and sit at their computer to watch someone play the game they kept talking about wanting to play all day long. Personally, I'd much rather play a game than watch someone else play a game. As for the comment about us watching someone else play the older consoles, I only watched my family play (entire family are gamers) because I was going to get a turn soon. If I left the room, I gave up my turn.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
It's really no different then watching them play on youtube except they can interact with their community and even more so on multiplayer games.

A lot of people will upload their twitch videos there also so you can watch them without the chat area as timezones and such can be a issue but if you watch people play on youtube it's not much different really.

As for paying it can be a way for their community to support them or join their in-game clan and interact with the streamers but it would be like removing adblock when watching them on youtube in a way. ;)
The difference between live and recorded is that when you go looking for a recorded one, you're looking for something in particular. While the stream you are getting whatever is happening. I don't want to watch a 3 hour stream to watch the good 15 min match, I rather watch the VOD of that match.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The difference between live and recorded is that when you go looking for a recorded one, you're looking for something in particular. While the stream you are getting whatever is happening. I don't want to watch a 3 hour stream to watch the good 15 min match, I rather watch the VOD of that match.
So skip to where the match is on youtube.

A lot of content can be worth watching the entire thing as 2-3 hours can be paused and watched later if needed as a lot of people have entire streams on youtube from their weekly stream as doing a daily stream can be hard for most.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I suspect a large part of the Twitch audience is young kids in the 10-15 range, though I don't know who's donating money if that's the case... so maybe I'm off-base there.

I can watch YouTube videos of gameplay, but streams are pretty awful unless the streamer is extremely skilled at the game or if it's an tournament/championship match.

Reactions: shortylickens

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It's not as ridiculous as making reaction videos.

People will do anything to get on "tv". And those who pay them feel a part of it.

My 8yos are already watching these Minecraft streamers (not live) in lieu of playing it themselves. Mostly because they do it better. They already know about how it works - more subscribers, more popular, etc. Even have a few classmates who have their own channels already. New generation...

They don't have their own money but when they do I'll be damned if they're spending it on crap like this. This is why parents put their kids into sports and other activities, lots of them.

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
understanding streamers:
i like video games,
i have boobs,
i like money,
therefore - i stream.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
I don't get it either, if it would be mid 70s and someone is having own TV show about computers and how working with them looks like, it would have its meaning but watching for hours someone who is playing game for hours is meh, I'd rather go in cricles for hours around some building!

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I don't get it either, if it would be mid 70s and someone is having own TV show about computers and how working with them looks like, it would have its meaning but watching for hours someone who is playing game for hours is meh, I'd rather go in cricles for hours around some building!

To be fair this is no different then watching sports be played as all people do is run from one side of the court to the other. ;)

It's entertainment for many and really no different then sports watching or a movie these days as this was pointed out when tv came out or the radio so get with the times or yell at the kids on your lawn. :D

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
To be fair this is no different then watching sports be played as all people do is run from one side of the court to the other. ;)

It's entertainment for many and really no different then sports watching or a movie these days as this was pointed out when tv came out or the radio so get with the times or yell at the kids on your lawn. :D
Agreed, that's why I don't watch sports either.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
There are probably a few talented ones. Most of the rest are attention seeking "bandwagon jumpers". The only gaming vids I like are "no camera, no commentary" Youtube walkthroughs. Note that's walkthroughs (here's how the game plays) not "Let's Play's" (look at me play this game).

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
latest

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
There are a few who are genuinely entertaining and engaging. However I don't spend more than 30 - 60 minutes/week watching streams..which is still more time than I spend watching TV...