I missed 2 midterms this week. Can my professor deny me the opportunity to retake the test?

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
I studied my ass off for these 2 midterms and I got god damn sick. On Tuesday I came home and within an hour I started to feel nauseous. I was thinking that I caught a virus but I let it go. I went to the kitchen and studied for my upcoming midterms which were taking place on Wednesday and Thursday. Well I took a nap and woke up for work. I work midnights (12am-8am) 40 hours per week. Anyway I went to work and within an hour I got the nastiest stomach cramps. I went to the bathroom and sat on the toilet for literally over an hour. I was on the toilet (off an on) for almost my whole shift. I couldn't even get up. Then I came home from work and within 30 minutes I was hugging the porcelain god. I threw up a couple of times.

I decided that I had better go to my doctor and when I got there he told me that I looked awful. :( So he took my temperature and told me I had a slight fever and I told him that I think I have a stomach virus. So he gave me the medication and within 30 minutes I went home. I got home and my stomach started to cramp up on me again. I literally jumped on my toilet for 1.5 hours. By this time I was like there is no way that I'm going to take the midterms. I think I made the right choice because I threw up 2 more times, had diarrhea and my body and butt were hurting. Try sitting on toilet for over an hour... :)

I missed my Wednesday midterm and I was going to go on Thursday and take my Ed Law midterm but the same symptoms came back. I had diarrhea and threw up a couple of times at my apartment. I decided to call out of work and didn?t go to college. I slept until morning.

So I emailed my one professor and she just got back with me and stated that "You Benjamin will take the test on Monday." She's from China. :D Well that's one down but I'm worried about my other Professor. I emailed him yesterday but I forgot that he doesn't take emails. Also he is an adjunct. This means that he doesn't have his own office so he is never at the college. He comes in to teach the one class and leaves. He is a full time teacher at a public school. Anyway...

So I'm worried that I will not see my professor for anther 2 weeks because we have spring break. I don't want to walk into class next Thursday and ask him about the test. The midterms will be already graded by then and plus it will make it look like that I was stalling for more time. I want to take this test on Monday with my other midterm. :( What Professor doesn't take email? College is still open.

So if I don't see my Professor until next week can he deny me the midterm? It will be 2 full weeks since everyone had taken the test so he might say that it's not fair to the other students that I was able to take it so late. I need to somehow contact this guy. So that's my dilemma.

I have a doctors note explaining what my condition was and what had happened to me. In fact I'm going back to the doctors at 4pm. today because he wants to see if my health has improved. My family doctor seemed really worried about my health. I'm feeling a little better btw.

Thanks for the help.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Make sure you fill out the appropriate form your university provides for these types of situations. I would contact the dept and ask them how to contact your prof. There's always a phone #. Leave a message. Or contact the head of the dept instead of your prof and ask them what to do.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I missed a few after my spleenectomy ... I don't think he needed proof (maybe I looked frail enough)... he just let me take it another day...

Maybe you can gut yourself or sumpin' ;)

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: jagr10
Make sure you fill out the appropriate form your university provides for these types of situations. I would contact the dept and ask them how to contact your prof. There's always a phone #. Leave a message. Or contact the head of the dept instead of your prof and ask them what to do.

Yea thanks jagr10. I'm going to the college this Monday to take the one midterm I missed and hopefully I'll be able to contact this professor. It's all about protecting your ass and I'm not going to get screwed. Well I hope not... :D

Capone

Jan 28, 2004
Man I know what it's like to work night shift and go to college. that isht is rough. I seriously don't remember the year that I did it. I know I took speech and thats about it, the rest of the classes are a blur.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Capone
Man I know what it's like to work night shift and go to college. that isht is rough. I seriously don't remember the year that I did it. I know I took speech and thats about it, the rest of the classes are a blur.

It sucks. I hate it but I have to live. Luckily I have one more semester to go and then I'm done. But yep, it does suck. I believe my body is getting run down. I don't get the adequate sleep that my body needs and my eating habits just sucks. My body is definitely worn down and this is why I got sick.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
Call the department that the classes are under to get the prof's contact info...

I just called guys and I do have his number. Thanks for the help and I'm calling him this moment. If I can't get in touch w/ him then I'll go to the department on Monday.

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
Most of the time offcampus parttime professors are far more forgiving than regular professors. They will be able to relate with your fulltime work schedule much better.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
Call the department that the classes are under to get the prof's contact info...

yea...what he said. looks like you are pretty much ok. if ur prof still wont let u take the midterm , id take it to the head of the dept

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
depends on the teacher. most here will let you retake with a doctor's note.