I might vote for McCain in November.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
So here's my deal. I am in love with the Democratic Party's prospects for 2008. I would feel great voting for any of the three frontrunners, though I'm pretty disappointed at how Edwards is looking in the polls these days.

But think about this: How great would it be if John McCain were our next president? Who better to start the healing process after the most disastrous presidency this country has ever seen? If he screws it up (like the next president will do with Iraq, energy policy, and health care-- does anyone really see a good outcome from any of those issues?), then the whole deal gets correctly blamed on the GOP and we have a solid 50 years of marginally more competent leadership from the Democrats. ;)

But say he gets it right. Say he restores constitutionalism to America, rebuilds the world's trust in our endeavors, strengthens the economy, starts us on a road to fixing the immigration "problem," doesn't follow up on his pandering to the religious right, and brings a little sanity to government spending. Wouldn't the Republican Party that resulted from such a presidency be a moral one?

Am I crazy, or could John McCain set the political arena of this country on a track of sanity and morality that this country's never seen before? Or should I get my head out of my ass, vote for a Democrat, and go back to cynically hoping for compromise, appeasement, and mediocrity?

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Jonn McCain doesn't even know what to do with the economy. How could he restore it? I guess he can ask everyone for help lol.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Keeping us in Iraq isn't going to bring any kind of sanity to government spending if that is what you're worried about. And voting for John Edwards only means you're letting John Edwards decide who should be president, not you. That is, you're giving him more power in his kingmaker role.

McCain is more worried about national security issues than the economy or spending. For that reason I don't see the track we're going down being much different under him. That is not to say I am completely against him being elected, it just seems you may be contradicting your own views by voting for him.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Jonn McCain doesn't even know what to do with the economy. How could he restore it? I guess he can ask everyone for help lol.

Thats what advisors are for.

Do you honestly think Romney is behind his economic plans?

Candidates and politicians rarely have expert knowledge in more than one subject.

Truth be told, candidates and politicians arent coming up with their own ideas or their own policy, their mid and high level grunts are.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
he would have to get the nomination for you to vote for him in Nov. you better worry about voting for him in your state's primary first

McCain would just be four more years of the same crap as GWB

they both support amnesty for illegals, name one issue that McCain is different than GWB on

no, we need to give the Bush haters NO excuses for the next term(s) of POTUS, it has to be someone different than GWB regardless of Repub or Dem

and then when nothing changes and we get 4-8 more years of the same thing, maybe a few more sheeple will wake up

bread and circuses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Candidates and politicians rarely have expert knowledge in more than one subject.

Truth be told, candidates and politicians arent coming up with their own ideas or their own policy, their mid and high level grunts are.

That's not good enough. To me he is just ignoring the issue. He should have some idea of what to do. One of my biggest concerns is the economy, if he can't talk about it why should I trust him?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't really get why the economy is such a big issue.

I mean, at best, the president has marginal control over what happens to happen with it under his watch, and generally speaking, the less the president tries to muck around with it the better.

put respected, independent, apolitical regulators in place and call it a day.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: loki8481
I don't really get why the economy is such a big issue.

I mean, at best, the president has marginal control over what happens to happen with it under his watch, and generally speaking, the less the president tries to muck around with it the better.

there you go using logic and reality in politics! :laugh:

i agree , it is funny how much credit/blame is put on the executive branch for a free market economy's rise/fall

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
McCain sat in a Pow camp for the bulk of the Vietnam war. And judging from what he is saying now, he still has not woken up to the fact the US lost the Vietnam war while McCain sat safe in a POW camp while Nixon poured more American blood and treasure down a rat hole.

How many lives would it take lost in Iraq to wake McCain up to the fact that there are some 58,000 formerly living Americans carved on black granite in the Vietnam Vets memorial?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
McCain sat in a Pow camp for the bulk of the Vietnam war. And judging from what he is saying now, he still has not woken up to the fact the US lost the Vietnam war while McCain sat safe in a POW camp while Nixon poured more American blood and treasure down a rat hole.

How many lives would it take lost in Iraq to wake McCain up to the fact that there are some 58,000 formerly living Americans carved on black granite in the Vietnam Vets memorial?

Sat safe? Are you fucking kidding me? He had a chance to be released 4-5 years earlier than he was, but refused the offer because of the military code of conduct and because it was only being offered to him because his father was an admiral. Instead he refused to give his enemy a PR victory and is now permanently disabled because of it--because while Nixon was pouring more American blood, his own blood was pouring from the daily beating and torture he received.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
he would have to get the nomination for you to vote for him in Nov. you better worry about voting for him in your state's primary first

McCain would just be four more years of the same crap as GWB

they both support amnesty for illegals, name one issue that McCain is different than GWB on

no, we need to give the Bush haters NO excuses for the next term(s) of POTUS, it has to be someone different than GWB regardless of Repub or Dem

and then when nothing changes and we get 4-8 more years of the same thing, maybe a few more sheeple will wake up

bread and circuses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

Immigration is the only issue that Bush isn't a complete fascist idiot on. The only "alternatives" to amnesty are fictional pipe dreams and (if any of them were in any way feasible) economic catastrophes.
McCain has pledged to close Guantanamo and the secret CIA prisons on day one of his presidency. His positions on gay rights and abortion are post-2004 decisions. He supports the rule of law. He's worked in the Senate against an administration that has subverted the Congress and the courts' constitutionally guaranteed positions at every turn. He's not beholden to either the neoconservative or ultrareligious agendas.

The twin legacies of GWB are illegal inflation of executive power, and the illegal and stupid doctrine of preemptive war. I think I could trust John McCain to turn back both of those.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

spoken like a true intellect :p

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem

That's not good enough. To me he is just ignoring the issue. He should have some idea of what to do. One of my biggest concerns is the economy, if he can't talk about it why should I trust him?

Thats not good enough.....there has never been a presidential candidate who did not relie on advisors to steer the country in the right or the wrong direction!!

Mail5398

Jul 9, 2001
I never even considered voting for McCain until idiots on here and other sites started calling McCain dumb for getting shot down and playing it safe by sitting in a POW camp. Keep it up with stupid comments like that and McCain will sweep into office.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Dont worry about something you cant do nothing about. Hillary might still get elected, or even Obama. You still have to make it through the real election.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: LtPage1
So here's my deal. I am in love with the Democratic Party's prospects for 2008. I would feel great voting for any of the three frontrunners, though I'm pretty disappointed at how Edwards is looking in the polls these days.

But think about this: How great would it be if John McCain were our next president? Who better to start the healing process after the most disastrous presidency this country has ever seen? If he screws it up (like the next president will do with Iraq, energy policy, and health care-- does anyone really see a good outcome from any of those issues?), then the whole deal gets correctly blamed on the GOP and we have a solid 50 years of marginally more competent leadership from the Democrats. ;)

But say he gets it right. Say he restores constitutionalism to America, rebuilds the world's trust in our endeavors, strengthens the economy, starts us on a road to fixing the immigration "problem," doesn't follow up on his pandering to the religious right, and brings a little sanity to government spending. Wouldn't the Republican Party that resulted from such a presidency be a moral one?

Am I crazy, or could John McCain set the political arena of this country on a track of sanity and morality that this country's never seen before? Or should I get my head out of my ass, vote for a Democrat, and go back to cynically hoping for compromise, appeasement, and mediocrity?

Interesting analysis.

It sounds like you've thrown the dice and are waiting to see which number they land on.

You do understand that in scenario #2, we would have 50 years of Republican, not Democrat, rule...right? :laugh: