I might be moving to Costa Rica, anyone know what I should expect?

Banned
Jul 10, 2000
My wife and I might be moving to Costa Rica for 2 to 4 years (her company is relocating her, because she speaks Spanish). I was wondering if anyone has lived there or vacationed there. I would like to know some opinions about the place.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000

<< Chicks in Bikinis and your wife's prying eyes on you >>

Dang, I was gonna say that...

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Anti American sentiment, people in poverty,political corruption,drug smugglers. other than that, the people are nice and very hospitable.The scenery is beautiful, as tropical jungles go.

Enjoy the transition. You should be homesick within 4 hours of arrival. ;)

Banned
Jul 10, 2000
Well, she says that if we do move to Costa Rica, I don't have to work. She says that I can have a hobby. I don't look at other women. Cost of living will be great, because she gets paid in dollars. Anyone know about the internet connections in Costa Rica?

CuriousAndy

Banned
May 28, 2001
No Internet connection in Costa Rica.. you have to DL and obtain info yourself.. a bicycle may help..

~andy

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000

<< I don't look at other women >>

Even if they're wearing a thong, standing in front of you, and bending over to pick up a coin?

Banned
Jul 10, 2000
She will be making enough money that I don't have to work in US also. She likes to work and have me raise the kids.

I don't look at other women.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I've heard from a physician friend of mine who's brother is a chiropractor there that's it's just this side of paradise. Hire a cute houskeeper & a good gardener & live like a king.

You'll bump into more than a few celebs down there, it's one of Hollywood's secret hideaways;)

jpsj82

Oct 30, 2000
never been there my self, but know many who have (some for years at a time). overall they all enjoyed it. you will probably be living in an area of the wealthy class if your wife is working for an american company, regards less if you think her salary is a lot or not. it will be more then the common citizens.

best piece of advice, use commen sense. don't go around acting american late at night in the wrong parts of town. basically anywhere you go in the world today there are those who don't like americans. have you ever been out of this country before? if not this will be a good cultural experinece for you (and even if you have been out of this country before). depending upon the ages of your kids they too can learn a lot about the culture down there and can use that experience through out their lives.

QueenShanequa

Banned
Jul 21, 2001
awesome white water rafting. Q
couldn't you use satelite connection? Lifestyle in the city is pretty high if you have the money. People arent really all that anti-american, they depend on us for their economy. Q

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
As far as i know they still don't have any military. They have a very diverse landscape, with beaches (duh!), and even forests in the mountains that are up in the clouds. There are lots of rare plants there.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001

<< I might be moving to Costa Rica, anyone know what I should expect? >>

Bugs. Big bugs. :Q

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Most anything...they have pretty relaxed laws (or enforcement, anyways).

For a new hobby you could grow pot plants...Or other plants. Most drugs are legal down there. Maybe shrooms? You could sell those to neighbors.

Unclemo

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
beaches are not great... except if you boat out to an island
water is nice and mountains are beautiful...
great river rafting!!!!!!!!!
town is dangerous at night...

not really the place you want to live... if you are a white male. It is one of my favorites for vacationing... but the town is a crap hole... resembles my septic field after a week of company.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
royaldank

<< . Most drugs are legal down there. Maybe shrooms? You could sell those to neighbors >>

Hey Royaldork, he asked what to expect, not how to become a major league loser!

unclelmo

<< not really the place you want to live... if you are a white male. It is one of my favorites for vacationing... but the town is a crap hole... resembles my septic field after a week of company. >>

Do you know the way to San Jose'?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Costa Rica is on the nice safe end of the Wild West frontier that is Central America. It can be absolutely beautiful, but there is poverty and crime in non-tourist areas. If you are making more that $75K, you'll live like a king. For the most part Ticos (Costa Ricans) are very friendly people.

Have fun.

Unclemo

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
have you thought about the schools there? Are they any good? If your children are really young and you will be back in the US before they get seriously involved with HS then I would think it is ok.

Static911

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2000
been there for only one week during spring break with my father and brother

very nice place to live xcept for the humidity

The folks in the city are quite nice

Lots to see and do

best of luck

static911