I might be moving to Costa Rica, anyone know what I should expect?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Man if I were you I'd spend a week or two there at least before making up your mind.

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

no offense bro... bu tit seems your lady has wears the pants in the family...

okay.. so now where do I get one of those... i love the idea of sitting at home all day. :)

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Coasta Rica is home to some of the finest coffee grown in the world. Be sure to drink the Tarrazu region coffee. Of peticular note is Bill McAlprin's La Minita. This is probably the most famous and highly regarded coffee in the world by coffee insiders. Most folks think Kona or Jamacan Blue Mountain is the best, but ask anyone who roast professionally and they are likely to mention La Minita.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
I went to school in Jan Jose for a few months. Nice place, but it can be very dangerous. I would advise your wife against wearing any sort of earrings that hang down...studs are fine, but hoops or hanging earrings are liable to be snatched right off the ear (and I saw that happen twice!)

Particularly with your wife, be careful with taxi drivers. A friend of mine studying with me was coming home late at night was was nearly raped by a taxi driver after he drove her to a remote location and stopped. She managed to stab him and run away, but it was a hell of a scare. They will overcharge gringos, so fluent spanish and a little wheeling and dealing should set them straight if possible.

Be VERY careful of the water. Drink coke only out of bottles, ESPECIALLY at small mom and pop restraunts. At malls, where there are mcdonalds, taco bell, stuff like that, fountain drinks are usually OK, but be wary.

Contray to what someone said earlier, there is net connection there. There are many net cafes, especially in the bigger cities.

Definitely try and blend in with the locals, dont wear overly "american" clothes or have a radical haircut.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Ah...the rainy season is somewhat over, but if you go, make sure you resarch the locale where you would live and bring weather appropriate clothes. During our summer months there, it rains, heavily, near every day in many locations.

Banned
Jul 10, 2000
Hey,

We will probably go and visit for a week before we decide.
I was thinking about maybe finding a part time job like at a auto shop, so that I can learn how to fix cars.
I don't know what I'm gonna do, if they don't have high speed internet connection.

Part of me are glad to go, but part of me are not, because I would have to break the news to my parents that we are moving far away.