I may have destroyed my motherboard

lefty2

May 15, 2013
I was making measurements on my motherboard with a metal tape and stupidly forgot to unplug the power. Then it sudden came on and I might have touched the lan connection with the tape. After that, it's only recognising the network card intermittantly. Is it really that easy to bork a motherboard?

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Try leaving it unplugged with the cmos battery out for half an hour, see if it resets itself.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Is it really that easy to bork a motherboard?

Yup, you betcha.

As easy as bridging the wrong two energized metal surfaces, even if only instantaneously (eg, there goes a chip).

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, I tried resetting the bios without luck

But did you try leaving it unplugged and with the battery out for half an hour to give the components time to discharge fully?

Last edited:

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
But did you try leaving it unplugged and with the batter out for half an hour to give the components time to discharge fully?
+1 and if this don't work.if the rest of the mobo is fine.just buy a network pci card.

Drummerdude

Mar 14, 2014
Just to add my unnecessary 2 cents, I'm gonna say yep, sounds like your "borked" it. As Denis said, buy a pci/pci-e NIC, and problem fixed.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yup, you betcha.

As easy as bridging the wrong two energized metal surfaces, even if only instantaneously (eg, there goes a chip).
Yes it is, I did it once when trying to put a NB cooler on a MOBO and the screws were a bit too long years ago, first time I fired it up POOF.

lefty2

May 15, 2013
But did you try leaving it unplugged and with the battery out for half an hour to give the components time to discharge fully?
I think that might have done it. After leaving it off overnight it started working again. Thanks for the advice anyways ;)