I maded a picture book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I made a picture book. It's short (18 illustrated pages, but 23 pages total) but I made it mostly because I had the idea and wanted to make it for myself more than anything... so if you think it's really terrible, I don't care (there are formatting issues and grammatical errors for sure :D). Also did it because I'm working on a novel that is still a few months away from being done, and I wanted to see how self-publishing works, and whether the process was easy. I'm not the illustrator, by the way, it was someone I just hired for a few bucks (on Fiverr).

Here it is, free for a few days on Kindle.

It goes up to $1.99 after that. Not expecting to make any money off it really, but if I get enough to see an actual check and buy a bag of coffee, I'd be happy. I'm going to try getting a copy or two printed on demand and see whether the quality and pricing is okay next.

/shameless self-promotion

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't use Amazon books. Oh well. Good luck with the publishing :^)

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
I made a picture book. It's short (18 illustrated pages, but 23 pages total) but I made it mostly because I had the idea and wanted to make it for myself more than anything... so if you think it's really terrible, I don't care (there are formatting issues and grammatical errors for sure :D). Also did it because I'm working on a novel that is still a few months away from being done, and I wanted to see how self-publishing works, and whether the process was easy. I'm not the illustrator, by the way, it was someone I just hired for a few bucks (on Fiverr).

Here it is, free for a few days on Kindle.

It goes up to $1.99 after that. Not expecting to make any money off it really, but if I get enough to see an actual check and buy a bag of coffee, I'd be happy. I'm going to try getting a copy or two printed on demand and see whether the quality and pricing is okay next.

/shameless self-promotion

How much we talking? I'll do your novel. Make it one of those picture every other page adult books. I can draw a great pair of tits and a mean dick butt. I can send you samples.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
It says it's not compatible with Kindle for PC. Why is that?

I just tested "purchasing", downloading, and opening up on Kindle app on desktop with no issues... I'm using Windows 10, though, not sure if there are any bugs that might cause an error on anything else. Does it say that when purchasing, or downloading?

Anyone else experienced any errors?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
How much we talking? I'll do your novel. Make it one of those picture every other page adult books. I can draw a great pair of tits and a mean dick butt. I can send you samples.

Uhhh... I'll keep you in mind if I go down that route. :D

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I just tested "purchasing", downloading, and opening up on Kindle app on desktop with no issues... I'm using Windows 10, though, not sure if there are any bugs that might cause an error on anything else. Does it say that when purchasing, or downloading?

Nope ... Opened just fine on mine running Win 7.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009

It won't let me download to PC. It does let me download to Android Kindle though. This is what happens on PC:

qtXxdcl.jpg

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
It won't let me download to PC. It does let me download to Android Kindle though. This is what happens on PC:

qtXxdcl.jpg

Try deleting the book from your library and collection (it's an option in your account page, under one of the digital purchases/device management) and "repurchasing". If that doesn't work, I'll contact Amazon.

This is one of the drawbacks of digital I'm seeing. Too many potential issues, and even formatting the book and figuring out what it will look like on multiple devices is a little like creating an app. Luckily the book I'm publishing later is purely text other than the cover, at least.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I cannot download this with kindle for windows 8; I just get the "this item is not compatible with this device" message. It downloads fine on kindle for android.

Even if I delete it from the account, and re-purchase it, the option to deliver it to my PC is greyed out.

http://imgur.com/H7CrtET

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This is one of the drawbacks of digital I'm seeing. Too many potential issues, and even formatting the book and figuring out what it will look like on multiple devices is a little like creating an app. Luckily the book I'm publishing later is purely text other than the cover, at least.
I think that's more of an issue of a proprietary delivery system, and DRM. It's one of the reasons l don't use Amazon. The other major reason is they can take back the books you purchase. It's a perpetual lease. Finally, their software tracks everything, from the books you purchase, to the pages you read, and especially like. Privacy in reading material is a long held standard, and one of the foundations of democracy.

Formatting is a triviality. People can figure that out themselves. A picture book on a phone is what it is, and not something the author needs to worry about.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I think that's more of an issue of a proprietary delivery system, and DRM. It's one of the reasons l don't use Amazon. The other major reason is they can take back the books you purchase. It's a perpetual lease. Finally, their software tracks everything, from the books you purchase, to the pages you read, and especially like. Privacy in reading material is a long held standard, and one of the foundations of democracy.

Formatting is a triviality. People can figure that out themselves. A picture book on a phone is what it is, and not something the author needs to worry about.

I didn't enable DRM (Amazon gives you an option to), but unfortunately I think it's something Windows 8 specific (no issues on 10 for me, not sure about 8.1)... I'm reading on other forums/pages that people are still experiencing this issue with certain books. :( If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know.

I agree with all of your points, though. I don't really like Amazon for content distribution, but Kindle is such a prominent front for ebooks that it is hard to get away from.

Had an idea for a t-shirt (I'll probably be the only person ordering one, but just in case :D), it's now available on Spreadshirt:

caffeinator-t-shirt-men-s-1850.png

fz7nk5.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.