I made some bread this morning.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Why didn't anyone tell me that making bread was a piece of cake? From now on i'm baking my own bread. Now to try some different varieties. I used this recipe. I don't even need to buy an expensive mixer (so far).

Reactions: Kaido and Crono

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's kinda messy. I used to make bread a lot. I should get back into that, especially in cool weather.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Slicing soft bread is incredibly difficult. This is why most people just buy bread. Sure anybody can slice a loaf of italian, but a soft white bread? Good luck buddy.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
'oly shat now that's an OP I 'aven't seen in a long time. 'ow do you do good sir?

Reactions: Crono

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
this is my gear for pizza
1. a pizza stone.
there's too much to say about ovens, assuming you have an average not-great oven, grab a pizza stone from Amazon (or from a B&Q, after all it's just a stone, buy a slab of marble and re-purpose it), as big and thick as your oven will allow.
You stick it in the oven and you run it at full blast for half an hour or so, once it is really hot you put your pizza on it and MAGIC! your pizza grows as it is meant to.

2. a pizza "shovel" or whatever it is that they call it here.
again, Amazon. less than twenny bux. You can't put a pizza on a stone unless you got one of these.

3. italian "for-pizza" flour.
you guessed it, Amazon. You can probably do well enough with off-the-shelf white flour, but you need to try several brands until you find one that works well for pizza.

4. Fresh yeast (although dried yeast can work well too)
you get this in bricks off of eBay. It's cheap, $5 should last you for a month of intensive pizza-ing.

5. ingredients:
cheapo fresh mozzarella, here in the UK you can get a single mozzarella (enough for 1 pizza) for 50p which is about half a buck.
fresh mushrooms. slice medium-thin and salt them, then drain the water that comes out.
anchovies, large tin, again from amazon. these cost much less than from the supermarket. i like Cooks & Co.
prosciutto. probably the best place to get it is to buy a whole ham on the bone off of eBay and slice it yourself.
tomato sauce. generally it's just blended raw tomatoes out of a can, but for the lower temp home oven i like to cook down the sauce a bit. i also like to sautee a bit of onion, celery, carrot, one small chili, and a handful of basil, and blend.
olive oil
basil - put 2-3 leaves on the pizza when it's nearly ready to come out.

6. a metal tray to store my dough on.
again, you will be limited by the size of home appliances, in this case your fridge, but dough that has rested a day is waaaay better than freshly made dough. any non-stick tray will do, i prefer metal over plastic.

it's also really convenient to have a couple of large plastic mixing bowls to raise your dough in.

if you google-fu, there is even a pizza making forum online that has a list of just about every flour available worldwide and people's reviews of how it works.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Hope you didn't touch any gluten. From what I read, that stuff will make your face melt off.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
latest

Reactions: lxskllr and Crono

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've been making my own bread for decades, very seldom will I buy a loaf, it's been years. I used to knead on a wooden board, bake in the oven but for maybe a dozen years now I use a bread making machine. It makes the process way easier, it's much much faster and the result is just as good. I use the machine to make the dough if I am making pizza, which I do occasionally, but I always have a loaf of bread on hand. Keeps better in the refrigerator (I don't eat it very fast), and lately, I keep 1/2 in the freezer (I divide in half after baking, cooling, slicing).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
next step: pizza
Pizza really is a snap. I don't bother with fancy fetishist oven inserts. I have a set of professional aluminum pizza pans, various sizes. I can Italian sauce from my home grown tomatoes. Use the machine to make the dough, roll out on a board, transfer to pan, let it rise while I prepare the toppings and preheat the oven, which is turned to the highest setting. Experience lets me know how long to cook, when to take a peak, when to pull. Use your imagination for toppings, experiment. Get a pizza slicer, beware of pizza burn!

I made a pizza this year that I was thoroughly convinced was the greatest pizza ever enjoyed on planet earth, it was that delicious. :D

Reactions: Crono

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The wife makes bread with einkorn flour. Looks, smells, and tastes great! We still buy the odd sourdough loaf from time to time, but (good) homemade bread is delicious.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Dough drops make great burger buns.
Spinning dough into strips Hot dog buns.
Really makes difference from the Wonder Bread (blech) buns.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
i'd love to make fresh hamburger and hotdog buns. is it more difficult to make than standard loaf bread?