I love the users here in the labs...

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
The lab I'm working in right now is split between Unix machines and Windows machines. I'm sitting here watching a person using a Windows box to telnet into Unix, while sitting immediately next to the first of the Unix machines (which are all open because people are scared of KDE)...

Why would you telnet into Unix when you can just log onto a Unix box and have command line right there?

ZV

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
i bet the average person who sits and uses the unix boxes is pretty stank nasty. i think i'd rather use one of the windows machines too.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Because the chances of having a female sitting next to you at a windows machine about about 100:1 over the UNIX boxes.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: gistech1978
why dont you ask him/her?
Because I'm too lazy to walk all the way across the lab. :p (The green on black telnet window is easy to spot from across the lab.)

Plus it's their prerogative. I just found it amusing.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Are you, the OP, using a Windows computer or a Unix computer?
The operator machines are all Windows. Our print server management software is Windows only. Otherwise I prefer to use the Unix boxes. There's always room and they run faster.

ZV

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Are you, the OP, using a Windows computer or a Unix computer?
The operator machines are all Windows. Our print server management software is Windows only. Otherwise I prefer to use the Unix boxes. There's always room and they run faster.

ZV

*nods, his curiosity satiated*

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Because I'm too lazy to walk all the way across the lab. :p (The green on black telnet window is easy to spot from across the lab.)

ZV

I bet if you were to ask this person if he knows what OS he's telnetting into, he'd probably guess Windows.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
cuz with windows machine, you can run other win apps along with the unix window (such as AIM, IE, etc)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: isasir

ZV

I bet if you were to ask this person if he knows what OS he's telnetting into, he'd probably guess Windows.

a lot of the ones here dont' even know they're using unix... they think it's some sort of email program haha