I love Spam

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
This is my favorite way to eat Spam. Budae Jjigae (army stew) is Korean stew with hodgepodge ingredients like Spam, sausages, ramen, kimchi, baked beans, etc. You can add any meat, carb, and veggies you want. We didn't have any baked beans so we left that out but added Spam, smoked beef sausage, instant ramen, kimchi, pork tenderloin, mushrooms, green onions, steamed rice cakes, and hot chili sauce. So simple to make yet so good. People here who don't like Spam just don't know how to use it.

Ingredients in the pot
lx1rFCG.jpg

Lid on and electric pot set to boil.
Vmv47gu.jpg

Adding instant ramen
Yo7zR9t.jpg

Ready to eat
IJWY7LC.gif

aftermath
3Uu8mkS.jpg

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I tried this for the first time last year. I just can't get into the cheese.

Re: spam, spam musubi is best.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Spam's great. Pro tip. Aldi sells a canned meat for ~$1.80 that I'm 99% certain is hormel spam with a different label. Just as good, and cheap.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Spam's great. Pro tip. Aldi sells a canned meat for ~$1.80 that I'm 99% certain is hormel spam with a different label. Just as good, and cheap.

horse meat and camel meat all taste the same with the same spices. ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I might have to check that out. I'm out of Spam as I used the last can I had for this dish. Even though it's expensive, I like having some canned meat and seafood in the pantry. Whenever I'm too tired to cook or can't think of anything to eat, it's nice to be able to grab a can of Spam, tuna, sardines, oysters, octopus, etc. and cook up a quick meal or eat straight from the can with some rice or cracker and toasted seaweed.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
iPhone Live Photos. It's amazing how every photo is also short video.

Nice, I didn't know you could export that to a gif! ima need to go video up some bubbling spam now...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've noticed that Spam, mackerel, and kimchi ramen is a common dish in the more authentic Korean restaurants back in NorCal. I assume that's rather typical of post-war Korean family meals?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I've noticed that Spam, mackerel, and kimchi ramen is a common dish in the more authentic Korean restaurants back in NorCal. I assume that's rather typical of post-war Korean family meals?
I don't know if it's typical but Spam, mackerel, and kimchi ramen are delicious combined or on its own. Koreans just love to eat and eating is social event. And Koreans love their instant ramen. They're always adding and trying new things with it. I love adding things to instant ramen. I added bunch of calamari to my ramen lunch the other day. It added strong seafood flavor to the the dish which I loved. One of the more popular instant ramen topping is slice of American cheese. It sounds gross but it works well. Get a spicy cup ramen like Shin ramen or kimchi ramen and add a slice of Kraft cheese after it cooks and enjoy.

TpqHsvU.jpg

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I don't know if it's typical but Spam, mackerel, and kimchi ramen are delicious combined or on its own. Koreans just love to eat and eating is social event. And Koreans love their instant ramen. They're always adding and trying new things with it. I love adding things to instant ramen. I added bunch of calamari to my ramen lunch the other day. It added strong seafood flavor to the the dish which I loved. One of the more popular instant ramen topping is slice of American cheese. It sounds gross but it works well. Get a spicy cup ramen like Shin ramen or kimchi ramen and add a slice of Kraft cheese after it cooks and enjoy.

TpqHsvU.jpg

Are those octopi? /shiver

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Are those octopi? /shiver
It's squid. I would love octopus but where I live, squid is much easier to source since restaurants serve fried calamari. I can get frozen octopus from local asian marts but I want live ones. Unfortunately, Americans don't generally eat octopus and thought of eating or cooking live octopus would scare them to death. So it's almost impossible to source live octopus in the US while pretty much any seafood can be purchased fresh and alive in Asia. Americans have no idea what they're missing out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's squid. I would love octopus but where I live, squid is much easier to source since restaurants serve fried calamari. I can get frozen octopus from local asian marts but I want live ones. Unfortunately, Americans don't generally eat octopus and thought of eating or cooking live octopus would scare them to death. So it's almost impossible to source live octopus in the US while pretty much any seafood can be purchased fresh and alive in Asia. Americans have no idea what they're missing out.

I don't eat octopus because it is a monstrous thing to do. Those things are smarter than most other animals, including Trump supporters. :D (sorry for P&N, but couldn't resist)

Reactions: feralkid

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I don't eat octopus because it is a monstrous thing to do. Those things are smarter than most other animals, including Trump supporters. :D (sorry for P&N, but couldn't resist)
Just admit you're scared to eat octopus. :D But you're missing out.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I love how they simplified their ingredients listing. I have an old can from over 20 years ago where the ingredient list is something ile in the 30s. Literally says "lips" in it. Still love spam tho.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Just admit you're scared to eat octopus. :D But you're missing out.

I love octopus and have had it all over the world. No more. I'm with zinfamous; they are too intelligent to be used for dinner.

Squid and mussels are a better choice.