I love power supplies with high ripple, and I can not lie!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-smg-series-smg650-650w/p/N82E16817182441

The new Rosewill SMG series all apparently have high ripple on their capacitors, and they are proud of that fact. ;)

I mean Rosewill is a big Newegg brand, so having someone double-check the intern's work would probably be a good idea. These have been listed for sale since July, and still not one review left.

5.jpg

And this Photoshop "effort" here is just really, really bad. How difficult is it to take a picture of one of these in or near a PC?

6.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER and Ajay

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Poor marketing but they mean the capacitor manufacturer rates the caps for low impedance and high ripple... relative to... ??? (some other cap model they make and self-rate).

Marketing! At least they wrote Japanese capacitors which if true means they used at least TWO of them. Okay I kept reading and it does read 100% Jap caps.

I imagine nobody wants to buy till they see a good review of them... hard to equate value in today's Covid & supply chain shortage market but IMO $105 seems on the high side for a house brand, 650W PSU.

It could be a great PSU, though I am not optimistic about the "sleeve bearing fan", especially considering they opted to upgrade that in the higher wattage SMG models.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
For me, Rosewill power supplies have always been looked at as low-end products. They seem to be really hit or miss in QC, with a pretty consistent percentage of 1-star reviews concerning DOA or early death units.

And since they are almost never reviewed, users have no way of knowing which company Newegg sourced to build them. And from trash fire that were Gigabyte power supplies coming from pretty much unknown OEMs, I would always stay with a power supply with a known OEM and internal components.

Honestly, if a person watches for a sale, they can get a really good gold rated PSU from brands such as Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, Super Flower, etc. at the same price (and sometimes lower) than these mystery PSU brands/models.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would always stay with a power supply with a known OEM and internal components.
Boring! :D If I don't need a fire extinguisher on hand every time I press the power button, what even is the point?

Seriously though: It is good to see Gamers Nexus getting involved, so there is another review site for PSUs to start filling the void. Too much overlap between them and Aris so far though. Without reviews, buying from the top tier list as you recommended, is the only way to go.

The worst part, is that PSUs like this Rosewill aren't priced low enough to even entice the most adventurous of us.