I love my car...but premium gas, etc.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
So, I have a 2009 Infiniti G37x. In great overall shape, mechanically sound. Has about 100k on the odometer and I owe about 6.4k left on it.

I love the car, it drives like a dream and is pretty fast for what it is. The only thing I am annoyed with is the requirement of premium fuel and the 22mpg. I have gotten into budgeting and how to keep costs down on things and paying $3.09 for premium and the 22mpg is getting annoying.

I don't feel like I need a sporty sedan anymore, I had a lot of Civics before this (2002, 2007, 2010) and they were fine.

Thoughts? Should I just suck it up and pay for the gas.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I would do the math. Does it actually cost that much, or is it in your head? I drive a car that can use premium or regular, but premium is recommended. My car gets better mileage, but not a ton, I avg about 26-28mpg. My usual fill up is 10 gallons, and it costs $0.20 more for premium. I fill up about once a week. Total cost for the year for premium over regular is $105. Once I did that math, I no longer worry about the extra cost.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I guess it's not that bad, I drive 15k miles a year, so its about a $400 difference.. I was more thinking of it in terms of getting rid of my car and getting a 31mpg car that takes regular.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Are you sure about that math? 15k miles at 22mpg comes out to 682 gallons, at 20cents more per gallon, that's $136.40. Unless premium is a lot more expensive where you live? Going to 31mpg would save you about 200 gallons a year, or around $600.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Assuming it's not causing you any financial distress, $400 seems like a small price to pay for happiness. Just as a ballpark, we're talking 400 hours of annual driving. So literally $1 more per hour in the driver's seat. How is this even a question?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
You need to consider the full financial cost or gain of the swap. How much can you sell your car for? How much can you buy the car you want for? How much will taxes and registration fees be? How will insurance pricing change? Will you make or lose money on maintenance, tires, etc? Once you have all that, decide if first of all you'd even come out ahead after selling and buying and fees, and second how all your annual costs will change.

I'd be willing to bet it's roughly a wash, and since you love the car you might as well just keep it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Is it written in the dash to only use premium? If it doesn't, I would just put regular.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
True, that's worth looking up. I drive an 04 330xi that "requires" premium, all the forum nerds swear by it, etc. but I use regular ... compression isn't high, same as any old Toyota or Honda. I had a similar era 330i before this that I put 80k miles on using regular with no issues.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
the difference between premium and regular isn't much, and even at $500/yr that's a lot less than a new car payment.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Is it written in the dash to only use premium? If it doesn't, I would just put regular.

i think on infiniti / nissan performance engines like that 3.7L he's running, its going to be required.

If he doesnt, i believe you will get worse gas milage and ending up spending more on gas due to improper combustion compression, then if you had just coughed up the 3.20 extra per tank on the premium. ~.20 cents extra for the premium on a 16gal refuel....

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
You might be able to hook up a scan tool to see if there's knocking detected or retarded timing while using lower octane fuel, but you might need to test all states, engine warm and cold, ambient temperature hot and cold, humidity, ethanol %, and yes you could get lower MPG and performance.

Maybe check a vehicle specific owner's forum to see what results they have with different octanes in same engine.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My car requires premium fuel and gets about 12 MPG. I haven't had to put gas in it for over two months. Saves me a bit of money that way.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
But the real answer is, if you're going to buy a different car to save money it'd better be something like a Prius or a deal that eliminates your loan. Otherwise you're "throwing good money after bad" and you'll never recoup the upfront cost.

Case in point, our WRX gets about 18-20MPG given the traffic we deal with. But the car is also long paid off so any extra fuel costs are minor compared to payments on a new car.

So take whatever equity you've got on your G and spend it on a used Prius. That's the only way you'll actually save any money.

Reactions: Meghan54

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Thank you for the suggestions, I think I am just going to keep the car. Once it is paid off it won't matter as much anyway. Also it's a fun car to drive. NutBucket... if I got a Prius I would never be able to get my man card back.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
You can't have a man card and save money....unless you're buying a beater Mustang or something.

But you see the point I'm trying to make.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
When you bought the car you knew it required premium right? You weren't the victim of some shady dealership scheme in which you were led to believe a G37 was an "economy" car were you?

Reminds me of a buddy I have who bought a vette C7 then complains about how low to the ground it is and how his out of shape body has trouble getting in/out. I just shake my head and compliment him on how excellent it is in hopes he will toss me the keys.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Eh, people don't think logically.

When my folks were going to buy a car a couple years ago they were just going to get another sedan. Being that my dad is now in his 80's I suggested they look a CR-V and the like since it would be much easier to get out of. Seems obvious, right? Yet it isn't....

Oh, their other vehicle is a Frontier which my mom has commented liking the higher driving position and ease in egress. Doh!

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
As others have already said, if you do some research you'll probably find that your modern car is pretty smart about what octane gas you put in. Will it run it's best on premium? Absolutely. Will it have problems on standard? Probably not. Most modern cars will identify engine knock and pull timing to prevent premature detonation, which will reduce your power but prevent any damage.

But also as others have said, the cost of premium vs regular unleaded is almost negligible when you actually look at it. The only way you'll really save money is if you get something with significantly higher gas mileage.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Owned several Infinitis. The earlier VQs from the 90s recommended premium and the manuals didn't give you much warning. After the 3.5 high revs, the manuals had longer paragraphs about the importance of premium but it was still recommend. Have the Q40 which is a renamed G37. It is a 330HP, you will want to use premium if you want all them ponies. The cost of gas will be the least of your worries money wise when owning a car. It's just part of ownership. Yes you can get away with regular but the problem is the quality of gas you get. It varies widely. Even with premium.

If you insist feel free to use regular, but once that check engine light comes on or if you all of the sudden don't pass emissions then you are the one to blame. I honestly would worry more about the cost of maintaining the transmission oil. There is no god-damn dipstick in the car for it. You will want to drain/refill that regularly.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
every forum I have read said that you should absolutely not run regular gas in it.. I appreciate everyones help, but I am just gonna suck it up and enjoy it. It's a very nice car and especially for the price I paid $8,900 when it had 75k miles.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
every forum I have read said that you should absolutely not run regular gas in it.. I appreciate everyones help, but I am just gonna suck it up and enjoy it. It's a very nice car and especially for the price I paid $8,900 when it had 75k miles.
Probably the same people who say you need to change oil every 3000 miles :sunglasses:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
It's a very nice car and especially for the price I paid $8,900 when it had 75k miles.

$9k for naturally aspirated, reliable V6 330HP engine. Amazing value. I don't like some of it's design quirks especially in the last year Q40, but once you step on that gas pedal, it all goes away.