I love C&C Generals and still play. Anything modern I might like?

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
I haven't played WG:AB yet, but the original is great as long as you have the time to play it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I love C&C Generals and still play. Anything modern I might like?

I found 'WarGame: Airland Battle' which looks interesting.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222750/

But I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations.

Not really no lol... strategy games are pretty meh these days. You might like openRA, i made a thread about it a while ago:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2318581&highlight=openra

As for Airland battle, i dunno, i also played the original and overall it was a good game, fun initially, but the multiplayer was very poorly designed for modern times. Big fooking number indicating your level which is seen by everyone when you join a game, so you're either too good or too crap and usually get booted (or people leave because they dont want to be teamed with you or to fight against you), combine that with what is a niche game played by few and it makes it too tough to even bother finding a game. Not to mention the wacky balancing with every patch.

Maybe wait for planetary annihilation or company of hero's II. Cant say they're much like generals but if you like strat games they should be of interest.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
C&C 3 is essentially a reskinned Generals that doesn't (as far as I know) suffer from the horrible mismatch issues that plagued the multiplayer mode.

Company of Heroes is a WWII themed RTS rather than modern, but it's a lot of fun and it seems to be on sale on Steam all the time. Not at the moment but give it a few weeks, you should be able to get the full game with all expansions for $10 or so.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Don't forget Company of Heroes II coming out later this year, featuring the Russian front.

You might want to look into World in Conflict. No base building to speak of, but has a nice modern setting and great gameplay once you get into it. The single player campaign is Red Dawn on crack (it's awesome). Get the expansion if you go for it. Really fleshes out the plot.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Not sure how similar, but there's Ruse, and Wargame: European Escalation for a couple.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I used to play a lot of Zero hour. I just reinstalled Red Alert and play that sometimes. Multiplayer in C&C is a wash though. Sometimes you get a good match and I have won some, but then you have the hackers with their damn cheats and when they know they are doomed they will quickly force an unmatch and you score no points. Total BS. I like to play the AOD maps, I even made my own with the Worldbuilder.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
HUGE RTS games.. personal favorite is RA:2, but most the C&C games (up to the last few) where all great IMHO. The DUNE 2 (remakes) the Updated one using he old units is great (dune 2000), the Almost total overhaul (emperor:battle for dune) is ok..

Most the Warhammer are good, I prefer the early games (dawn of war) with all the expansions to the newer ones.

But i have to agree the Company of Hero's games are great.. Any of you COH people know how to reset the campaign so it starts new and doesn't know I won it already?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I thought Red Alert 3 was decent, you might also like Universe at War: Earth Assault (developed by Petroglyph Games, which was formed by ex-Westwood Studios employees), it's a pretty good game overall and has a good enough campaign, in my opinion.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
My friends and I got together about two weeks ago to try and play Zero Hour, and couldn't get a game going due to the mismatch detected error. They had the First Decade box and I had my original CDs for Generals and Zero Hour. After a while we tried an online match and it said that I didn't have the correct version. We were all patched to 1.04 and even tried 1.06 with no success.

I'd like to give C&C 3 a try, I never played it. Generals is a game I love but it's aging.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I would try Ebay for a new copy of C&C. But keep in mind that if you play multiplayer you may get a mismatch because of a hacker/cheater. Just play the AOD matches.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I enjoyed Rise of Nations quite a lot. Check that one out. Besides StarCraft 2, there is like no player base for RTS games that i'm aware of.