I lost my PDA in NYC :(

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Grr, I'm so mad at myself. Took my PDA on my trip to Boston and NYC last week. I have a bluetooth GPS and a subscription to Vindigo so it proved an invaluable asset on the drive in and while looking for bars, restaurants and shopping.

Everything was great until the last day. I go with my friends to this trendy bar/restaurant in the West Village called 'Hue' (pronounced "whey" apparently.) My PDA's in my pant pocket...I forget to check it in with my coat. This is a swanky place mind you...and we're in the VIP room where you have to buy a minimum $250 bottle of champagne or cognac in order to get in. The VIP area has a L-shaped sofa and a couple of king size beds (beds in bars has been the trend du jour for awhile now) which I find myself in pretty soon.

Eventually I got stupid drunk, flirting with some Asian girl who I didn't even know. When I get out of the bed I feel that my pocket is a little lighter. Only when I get my coat do I realize that my PDA is missing. I go back down, ask the staff to help me find it, and its gone. Just gone...in a matter of minutes. The staff was really helpful, searching with flashlights and moving people around in order to help me. They even called me back at 5am after closing to let me know if anything was turned in. Of course, its just gone.

My fear now is that somehow whoever's got it will get to my data...as its an identitiy theft goldmine (cc #s, ss #'s, student ID numbers, bank account #s, website passwords, etc.) The PDA is an HP iPAQ, so the password is just a four-digit PIN number. Hopefully the battery will run out and it will reset before they can hack it.

Anyways, just had to share my frustration and anger with a crowd that can understand. The only upside is now I have an excuse to buy that Axim x50v I've been eyeing...

faenix

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2003
I lost my iPod.. although not full of sensitive info, it was still expensive... also in NYC :(

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I paid $400 for my smartphone... I think of it every other second so I'm sure I'll never lose it (I don't lose cheap stuff either). Anyway, contact credit bureaus for possible identity theft.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
next time get the HP6315 and buy the $2.50 insurance on it, if this happens again its a $30 loss

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
God, what a nightmare. You should do what I do....get a human PDA. I reffer to Kristin as my PDA because she keeps track of all our parties dates and stuff. so, whenever my buddies call and ask what going on in 2-3 weeks, I'm like....dude, lemme check with the PDA and call her. Funny thing is, when I was single...I was SO independant and organized in that regard. Its just easier to let her remember all that crap.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Jigga
*Left my computer screen
*On a multi-city trip
*Going metro

*To a swank club
*Spending $250 just to get in

*Felt up a real live chick on the bed in the club
(chick felt up the PDA)
*partied til the sun rose

*left all the sh!t that any self-respecting geek would secure unsecured

*No worries, I'll just buy a better one

and says to ATOT...
Anyways, just had to share my frustration and anger with a crowd that can understand.

funny stuff :)

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
3842... no thats not it 1876.... damn piece of crap. 4829.... this is going to take a while...

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: warcrow
God, what a nightmare. You should do what I do....get a human PDA. I reffer to Kristin as my PDA because she keeps track of all our parties dates and stuff. so, whenever my buddies call and ask what going on in 2-3 weeks, I'm like....dude, lemme check with the PDA and call her. Funny thing is, when I was single...I was SO independant and organized in that regard. Its just easier to let her remember all that crap.

Next she'll be buying $1200 sofas and you'll be ranting about it here...

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: brigden
Originally posted by: warcrow

Next she'll be buying $1200 sofas and you'll be ranting about it here...

Nah, she's got really good taste. That wouldnt bother me.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo
I go with my friends to this trendy bar/restaurant in the West Village called 'Hue' (pronounced "whey" apparently.)

Kinda like that city in Vietnam?
What a coincidence...they even serve Vietnamese food! :p

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
dude don't put that kind of personal information in a PDA.

why on earth would you put your SS# on a PDA?

let alone CCs and bank acct numbers. that's just idiotic.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: myusername
*Left my computer screen
*On a multi-city trip
*Going metro

*To a swank club
*Spending $250 just to get in

*Felt up a real live chick on the bed in the club
(chick felt up the PDA)
*partied til the sun rose

*left all the sh!t that any self-respecting geek would secure unsecured

*No worries, I'll just buy a better one

and says to ATOT...
Anyways, just had to share my frustration and anger with a crowd that can understand.

funny stuff :)
Thanks for the laugh...I needed it. About 'buying the better one'...its still out of my budget at the moment. I need to do another amateur website for $500 or so before I can get it.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo
I go with my friends to this trendy bar/restaurant in the West Village called 'Hue' (pronounced "whey" apparently.)

Kinda like that city in Vietnam?
What a coincidence...they even serve Vietnamese food! :p

And....you talked to an Asian girl. This is just getting bizarre. :D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd go fuggin' insane if I lost my $453 Dell Axim X50v. I always keep my PDA in my front right pocket and whenever I get stand up I always check to make sure it's there.

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
Originally posted by: dethman

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FreshFish
Originally posted by: dethman

Programs like eWallet store and encrypt your info.