I leave for a few months and L4D2 versus is full of elitest 15 year olds.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So I'm a full time engineering student, and I actually study so my video game time is somewhat limited. I used to play L4D2 for an hour maybe 3-4 times a week just last April. Was pretty good, occasionally ran into server filled with crazy pro people who would kick for something stupid, but that wasn't the norm. It was fun.

So today I fired it up, and got kicked from my first 5 versus servers. Why?

1. No knowledge of some obscure half-glitched ledge-charge on The Parish.
2. The first time I missed a straight-up pounce because my amateur reflexes were a little off.
3. Because I spawned as charger to take out a lone survivor (and I got half her health), instead of waiting for everyone else (the team was up 1000 points at this time, on the finale, so there was mathematically zero chance of our losing).
4. I tried to have a little fun (in a video game, God forbid) mortared my hunter over a truck and missed.
5. For no apparent reason. I was ranked 2nd on the team at the moment and there was an open slot.

Plus a lot of the xBox-live style game-talk has filtered in. I enjoy good natured trash talk, but it's just gotten pathetically mean, think elementary school name-calling. One stupid little shit felt the need to call me a retard about 4 times a minute (often for no reason) before he and his friend kicked me. Like a kid who just learned a dirty word and has to use it all the time. That's just... dumb. I called him out, no difference.

I used to recommend this game, now I'm probably not going to simply because the community has apparently gone to shit. And this isn't from the noobs on the free weekend, it's the "I play several hours a day because my parents didn't let my high school hold me back." crowd. Kinda sad really.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I am sorry, but you are surprised? That's what the online gaming community has turned into.

And it's why I only play (on the rare occasions when I do play online) private games where I know the level of maturity is comparable to my own.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I played for a bit the other day and I found it to be worse than I remembered. This happened twice on different servers: we won the first round, so the other team trolled and killed themselves, then finally quit. Then all kinds of other annoying bitching, complaining behaviour on other servers. It is so hard to find a quick round to play these days.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I did it for a couple weeks and saw it go downhill. I cant even imagine what its like now.

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!

(I think this is one of the reasons EVE is still popular.)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, and in general this nonsense is the result of console gaming getting online access.
Things were infinitely better back when getting online meant knowing a lot of shit and putting up with 9600 baud.

I miss Doom.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Isn't this a L4D2 free weekend? I've never played it but I thought I saw an advertisement for it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I am sorry, but you are surprised? That's what the online gaming community has turned into.

And it's why I only play (on the rare occasions when I do play online) private games where I know the level of maturity is comparable to my own.

I've had L4D2 since it came out and it's never been this bad. Guess all good things come to an end.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I've had L4D2 since it came out and it's never been this bad. Guess all good things come to an end.

Pretty much. But I think more than anything it is a general trend. The teenagers who have nothing in life to do but learn how to curse and then put people down who actually have lives to boost their egos, sit on their butts all day long and generally hone their skills at games instead of actually interacting with people. And you get this.

I hate to say it but the reason that Oatmeal cartoon is so funny is because it is so true.

The introduction (and indoctrination) of casual gamers into the market has done a lot for sales. But really nothing what so ever for the evolution of any kind of online FUN. As with anything where you have 10% serious component and 90% casual, the 90% swamps and eventually drives out the serious. It's a real shame. But it is the way of the world.

Last edited:

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I quit playing after too many hackers and ... not even elitists, but just plain not-that-good trashtalker friends kept showing up to my games, and I couldn't do anything because their three votes trumped my one vote. It's funny (not at the time) when the three bad-to-mediocre players talk trash and kick their only good player. This happens in more than just l4d2, but the tiny number of people per team means that if anyone shows up with a buddy or two, they have power to kick you at will.

Btw this is one reason why I will not get a console. As bad as PC gaming can be, it's tougher to set up a system, update drivers, etc. so you have fewer immature brats like in consoles. Unfortunately "fewer" doesn't necessarily mean "few."

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
OP, I know what you mean. Since I now work full time and have to wake up at 645, I don't get a lot of gaming in. As such my competitive video game skills are pretty lackluster. I have been sticking to my single player backlog recently. Wrapping up Starcraft Broodwar soon :p

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
That has been my experience with L4D2 for the past year or two and is the reason I never play the game. One of, if not the worst game community around outside of MOBA games.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
Which game in particular was annoying?
Almost all of them, I think. For two reasons:
1. They migrate.
2. The genre itself. Bad player is not just bad, but actively helps the other team, matches are long, so there is rage. Eventually it blew up and now shitfest is always there. Warranted or not.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I mostly lost my taste for online gaming, it may return to me, we'll see.

I still do some CS:GO and StarCraft 2, but not a great deal of it.

I've learned to not care what the people in StarCraft 2 say when I use unusual strategies or don't do well because it's been a couple of weeks since I last played.

I have fun, that's all that matters to me. They are irrelevant.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
thats why i mostly play with friends now, i dont care if the 15 year olds are on the other team i just dont want them on mine.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
It is Left 4 Dead 2 free weekend. Just more fresh meat to beat in versus!

I find the Left 4 Dead 2 community wonderful and do just fine on my servers. I find European and Asian players much better. Nicer too.

ApexBoost

May 5, 2011
I've never really ran into much problems on Versus servers, although I don't play versus all that often. I mostly just play custom campaigns for funsies.