I leave for a few months and L4D2 versus is full of elitest 15 year olds.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i uninstalled l4d and l4d2, just too many unfixed glitch/exploit areas, broken mechanics, and general gameplay failings.

for those that remember when #1 came out, there was an option in server settings for versus difficulty(changed damage taken by survivors). but because all the noobs were getting devastated at anything above easy/normal the devs took away difficulty settings and nerfed it to one gameplay style.

then when everyone learned how to play and we needed the extra damage to stop survivor teams from zerg rushing, there was nothing they could do cuz valve cant bring back old properly working code.

almost 5 years later, we are stuck with: random events deciding very close versus games(tank spawns), dangling from ledges 1 foot from the ground, and mod versions that make the original look like tidly winks(10v10 and buy menus)

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
This has been the case since a few months after L4D1 was released. It carried into L4D2.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
That's what the online gaming community has turned into.

it gets worse on free weekends or when valve realse the game as f2p.

while I dislike expencive games, it is better than putting up with people that have no need to care as if they get banded, they just open a new account.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
It's a real shame. But it is the way of the world.

And a important reason why I buy games that focus on quality single player stories now. At least I find them more fun than playing against randoms that are worse than a cheap AI.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
What seems to be the case (generally) is that those "kids" (sometimes adults too) trash talk when their parents aren't there at home, or at least cannot hear the kid in question (in his room, music volume turned up so no one hears him, etc). Now, if I was a parent and I caught my kid trash talking to anyone, about anything (not just for on-line gaming) I'd have pretty serious discussions with him (or her, but yeah usually it's boys as we all know).

I wonder if those kids' parents even are aware of them being so vulgar, mean, immature, etc... when they (the parents) think that their kid is like an angel or something "because it's my kid!", yeah love your kid, fine ("it's not his fault! I'm a good parent! it's just his friends!"), but educate them and make sure they aren't doing stupid crap behind your back. There's always been mean kids around from as far back as I can recall myself from my first few years of on-line gaming, but I think that it might have increased over the years (just in numbers, not necessarily in "intensity").

It reminds me of the days when I used to go to one of my best friend's place to go play games on his PS1 and Saturn, his parents were present most of the time, or at least his father was when I happened to go play with him. If his father heard him say anything wrong, anything immature or vulgar, even if it's towards the game itself out of frustration... you wouldn't have liked to see him getting pumped at his son. It was nothing violent but oh man... you just controlled yourself, well my friend did anyway.

I know, this sounds perhaps... I don't know, maybe far-fetched. I'm not a parent so... maybe I'm just too naive. I know many parents sadly don't "have the time" to take care of their kids, they work too much, get back home too late, barely have the time to make the meal or take a shower after work, and "talking", discussing with their children... takes too much time, must go sleep now so "love you boy, good night". In the meantime the kid's entourage at school, easy access to Internet, hearing others saying mean stuff on-line... over the years it kinda gets in your head.

Meh, not much we can do about it other than trying different servers, muting the kids' microphones, "ignoring" them even by typing on the chat or simply playing another game.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I mostly lost my taste for online gaming, it may return to me, we'll see.

I still do some CS:GO and StarCraft 2, but not a great deal of it.

I've learned to not care what the people in StarCraft 2 say when I use unusual strategies or don't do well because it's been a couple of weeks since I last played.

I have fun, that's all that matters to me. They are irrelevant.
As has been pointed out the biggest problem is kiddies without parental supervision who dont do their homework and spend all day playing. Not only do they get an elitist attitude but the lack of normal socializing means they dont know how (or dont care to) conduct themselves appropriately. They have no idea their performance in StarCraft 2 is completely irrelevant to the outside world. No employer is ever gonna see that on their resume and say "Hot damn! I need to hire this guy!"

We what really need is leagues tiered by age. But I have no idea how you would solidly verify millions of players.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, and the free weekend is still going until tonight at 10pm, so maybe check back tomorrow for the civilized people.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
This was my same experience trying pub L4D2 matches a year or two ago.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
i uninstalled l4d and l4d2, just too many unfixed glitch/exploit areas, broken mechanics, and general gameplay failings.

for those that remember when #1 came out, there was an option in server settings for versus difficulty(changed damage taken by survivors). but because all the noobs were getting devastated at anything above easy/normal the devs took away difficulty settings and nerfed it to one gameplay style.

then when everyone learned how to play and we needed the extra damage to stop survivor teams from zerg rushing, there was nothing they could do cuz valve cant bring back old properly working code.

almost 5 years later, we are stuck with: random events deciding very close versus games(tank spawns), dangling from ledges 1 foot from the ground, and mod versions that make the original look like tidly winks(10v10 and buy menus)

I remember the different versus difficulty settings! Those were fun with L4D1 and glad I was able to play at that time.

All the old timers missed out. :)

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
Two points.
First, what do you expect from pubs? With number of players in one match, you have quite high chance to find re... people challenged in some(not good) way. You're supposed to be adult and mature enough to understand that.
Second, you do understand, that kids mimic older members of community to fit in. It's slightly exaggerated portrayal of older community. But now it has wider voice support.
Find yourself a mature community. Or build one. Find like-minded people. Pitch in and rent servers. You're adults, you have the means. Make it so that only true members have the right to vote.
Oh... and you can always mute and use alternative methods of communication on PC, cutting yourself off from the major part of the problem. Think how horrible it is on consoles. Glorious_PC_Gaming_masterrace.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Two points.
First, what do you expect from pubs? With number of players in one match, you have quite high chance to find re... people challenged in some(not good) way. You're supposed to be adult and mature enough to understand that.
Second, you do understand, that kids mimic older members of community to fit in. It's slightly exaggerated portrayal of older community. But now it has wider voice support.
Find yourself a mature community. Or build one. Find like-minded people. Pitch in and rent servers. You're adults, you have the means. Make it so that only true members have the right to vote.
Oh... and you can always mute and use alternative methods of communication on PC, cutting yourself off from the major part of the problem. Think how horrible it is on consoles. Glorious_PC_Gaming_masterrace.jpg

Wow, an apologist for the swarms of little gaming douchebags has the nerve to call me immature. Guess you had to exist somewhere.

What did I expect? I expected what it's largely been since launch, which is a helluva lot better than it is currently. You obviously have no historical knowledge of the game in question and think you can generalize. You can't.

Legally speaking the kids shouldn't be allowed to play the game in the first place given the rating. And frankly, I never acted like half of them do, and everyone I know who did has long grown out of it. "Emulating the older community" my ass.

So I should spend more time/money/effort just to enjoy a game I've already bought on a basic level? No thanks. I have neither the time nor desire to join or build a clan, and most of my video-game playing friends don't play L4D2.

If you'd even read the OP, you'd know that my major problem isn't so much the language but the kicking over bullshit.

I don't own a console in part for that very reason. Consoles are good for parties/having friends over, I fail to see the attraction otherwise.

You have to admit that on average PC Gamers are more adult and intelligent than there console counterparts. A console is a toy that's given to toddlers nowadays. A PC, not so much.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Two points.

No thats wrong. They do NOT mimic the community they are a part of. The constant stream of racist and homophobic swearing is what kids that age like to do when they arent being supervised. Then the mature people get tired and quit and soon all thats left of the community is the angry children.

festa_freak

Dec 2, 2011
I loved these games. I think I put 90 hours into LFD1 and 150 into LFD2. not a huge amount of time but enough to know what I was doing and certain strategies.

I met many friends on there who are now on my friends list and who invite me to play other games often and I invite them. I can say that I would have a really hard time finding the same maturity for friendship.

I picked up LFD2 a couple weeks back to try again and it just seems to be missing something. gone are the days when you could have up to three matches with the EXACT same group of people, completely random. Now the teams change so much. People just leave when they miss a pounce or a spit or when they are incapacitated.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I have over 1500 hours of Left 4 Dead 2 and 900 hours of Left 4 Dead. Never been in a game where people were immature.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
As LessThanDan said, League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth are two as well as the original DOTA community at least the later years of it. I haven't played much DOTA 2 at all to really get an opinion on its community yet.

The genre in general just seems to attract the worse of the worse of people for some reason.

It's basically a given. It is done to keep the bad or casual players out. Honestly, it's ridiculous but the crowd and game is so hardcore that you rather have the player LEAVE the game than stay in and feed (Thus any trash talk to get them to leave is fantastic). 4v5 is better than 5v5 with a feeder. I've carried 4v5 games plenty of times. I have even carried 3v5 games. But trying to carry with feeders on your team is so hard unless the other team has a feeder as well...

No thats wrong. They do NOT mimic the community they are a part of. The constant stream of racist and homophobic swearing is what kids that age like to do when they arent being supervised. Then the mature people get tired and quit and soon all thats left of the community is the angry children.

I think you're wrong. I usually only heard people who were older spewing garbage when I was playing games growing up. It usually wasn't the 12 year old crowd. I think it just crossed over to the younger crowd because they grew up with the older morons. If I play CS or any game with mics I try to avoid servers with a lot of mic-chat unless it's decent ramblings. I mute players as necessary.

Last edited:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I thought versus was always a cesspool of abuse. Its partially due to the half assed scoring system where a tiny mistake by one player can result in an unrecoverable position ensuring a loss after a lot of time playing. Its the same idea in LoL I gather, if one player isn't pulling his weight and on board with the strategy they can totally fuck everyone else.

Personally I just think that means the design is not compatible with public play and maybe just isn't fun for clan play. I just play co-op with this game though and generally didn't have to many issues with other players.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
L4D = worst MP community I have ever played with. I played it a bit, nothing like TF2 which I play regularly, but the last time I played I was the sole survivor and unfamiliar with the map, and was screamed at, cursed out and promptly left that server never to return to L4D MP again.

It was just a horrible experience ... I won't play it with anyone other than clan friends at this point, and even then I constantly apologize for not knowing every nook and corner.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth are notorious for having the scummiest, most toxic online communities of any game, ever.

Heroes of Newerth is the reason I will never play a MOBA game. I joined Newbie games, and got flamed if I ever did anything wrong.