I learned something new today

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
"if you unplug the modem and router from the back but leave the power cord plugged into the power strip, the ISP still acknowledges that there is a modem there. A lot of people don't know that".

And to think that through all of my training in electronics, no one never mentioned that a circuit can be affected differently depending upon what side of the wire or trace you remove.

EDIT: He said modem and router.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Unplug it from the back? Does he mean unplug its network connection from the back of the PC?

Unplug the router from the PC, and leave the power cord plugged in, the ISP will still see the router.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Unplug it from the back? Does he mean unplug its network connection from the back of the PC?

Unplug the router from the PC, and leave the power cord plugged in, the ISP will still see the router.

It was the power cable that he was talking about. He said that we have to remove the power cable from the outlet, not from the back of the router.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Baloo
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
They still hit the MODEM. Maybe you misunderstood.

He did misunderstand

He said modem and router. I didn't specify that.

We have been having issues for the past six months here with the internet dying intermittently, usually dying between every 11 minutes to one hour. I finally got someone to come out here to look at it. I was so pissed at these assholes when I was writing the OP that I put router instead of modem. They tried telling me that I have to reset my hardware every time the connection dies, which means resetting the modem & router every 15 minutes or so to use their internet service. :|

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

He did misunderstand

We have been having issues for the past six months here with the internet dying intermittently, usually dying between every 11 minutes to one hour. I finally got someone to come out here to look at it. I was so pissed at these assholes when I was writing the OP that I put router instead of modem. They tried telling me that I have to reset my hardware every time the connection dies, which means resetting the modem & router every 15 minutes or so to use their internet service. :|

I had the EXACT same problem with my roadrunner, the tech just replaced my modem
and it stopped. Demand they fix it properly, it's the kind of problem that drives one
NUTS after the sixth or 7th re-boot!. Your not paying them 40-50/mth for "sometimes
it works" service!!!.

jw0ollard

Jul 29, 2006
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

He did misunderstand

I had the EXACT same problem with my roadrunner, the tech just replaced my modem
and it stopped. Demand they fix it properly, it's the kind of problem that drives one
NUTS after the sixth or 7th re-boot!. Your not paying them 40-50/mth for "sometimes
it works" service!!!.

Ditto. My internet died often. It was infuriating. Luckily, it only seemed to happen a few days in a row every week. So at least I had a FEW days at a time where I could actually use their POS internet.

.... And why is Firefox telling me "internet" is spelled wrong? Retarded.

Anyway, I REFUSE to ever ever ever use Road Runner again. I demanded a free month for the entire month that I endured their BS internet, but the bitch would only give me credit for a few days, and some dumbass technician came and told me that it was because "my connections weren't wrench tight." He was a smart one. So he "fixed" my internets and left, only for the internet to STILL keep dying on me randomly. Screw you, Time Warner.

Now I'm just waiting patiently for the day FiOS arrives. :)