I largely don't like them

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
By 'them', obviously, I mean pronouns. Didn't you know that?

I'm just tired of how constantly pronouns lead to unnecessary extra effort for readers and listeners, how often they lead to incorrect understanding - whether the impact is small or large. I'm tired of people having to ask, 'What is 'it'? Who are 'they'? What is 'that'? When in doubt, don't use pronouns.

Maybe I should make CRAP. You know that's the Committee to Resist Acronyms and Pronouns, right?

EAAAPP (Excessive Acronyms Are Also a Pet Peeve).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
He starts useless threads.

Who cares about that - point out the real issue, that I force you to read them. You aren't on ignore yet, you get a chance to do better. BTW, my dog agreed with you. He said, 'who cares about pronouns - can I have some meat?' [I don't actually have a dog, which will further confuse Occams in this useless post].

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
House number. I'm not very original.

Thanks, again, for the info on Germany. More than I could have gleaned/understood on my own.

R

:) Want a wild coincidence? We're like 3 posts apart at 37, 643 and 37, 640. Need to go make four more for Occams, to take the lead.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
"'Cause sayin' all those nouns over and over can really wear you down!"

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
"'Cause sayin' all those nouns over and over can really wear you down!"

Good link. I don't want to totally eliminate them (see what I did there? Do I mean pronouns or Schoolhouse rock videos? Pretty clearly pronouns, so I used one), but reduce them when there's ambiguity.

This just came up on a forum. trump's rally yelled to shoot immigrants, and trump said 'you can only get away with that in the Panhandle', smirking.

There's an argument where some say 'that' is 'saying to shoot immigrants' (my assumption) while others think 'that' meant shooting immigrants.

Not the worst example of confusion, but an example, and it's hard to resolve other than by opinions guessing. (The only relatively provable answer is, 'whichever interpretation is better for him.')