I knew California was as bad as the Soviet Union

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
T9KdD1v.png
:thumbsup: :cool:

If someone dies at home , usually very old and alone , cats will eat the corpse , where as a dog will lay down beside it and die right there . A vet told me this long ago . Just ask a vet.

So cats are smarter than dogs?
I like dogs and cats equally, but seriously... If I were old and living alone (or not) with a pet, the last thing I'd want would be to have the poor thing starve to death:'( lying right next to 155 lbs of fresh meat, er, "my corpse"...

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
:thumbsup: :cool:

I like dogs and cats equally, but seriously... If I were old and living alone (or not) with a pet, the last thing I'd want would be to have the poor thing starve to death:'( right next to 155 lbs of fresh meat, er, "my corpse"...

It depends on the dog. There was a story a few years back of the dog eating the corpse because the dog had no other option.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
It depends on the dog. There was a story a few years back of the dog eating the corpse because the dog had no other option.
And fwiw, I can't seriously imagine that most cats would immediately start chowing down, either, but would also do it only as a last resort kind of thing... If nothing else, even fully wild cats' basic hard-wiring is for hunting, they don't usually scavenge off carrion.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
If someone dies at home , usually very old and alone , cats will eat the corpse , where as a dog will lay down beside it and die right there . A vet told me this long ago . Just ask a vet .

So you're telling us that dogs are a good choice only for healthy people who don't plan on keeling over and leaving their pets alone to starve to death?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
lol +1

I used to live in very rural parts of CA. We used to capture stray cats, get them fixed, and then keep them around to keep down rodents. We almost never had less than 4 cats at a time. When I moved to Fremont, we did not need as many cats, so they were mainly just pets and we typically had about 3.

CA as I would assume most of the US has a big problem with cats killing native wildlife. Many cats are allowed to go outside and as such kill many animals every year. Cats have 3rd party implications in many places. I would actually favor a study to see the impact that cats have, and then adding a per cat tax to cover the impact. I dont know how that could work or if it could work, but Cats do have a major impact on wildlife.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n1/abs/ncomms2380.html
But we're assuming this wildlife is better off without predators. In reality urbanization removes or greatly restricts most predators, so cats are filling that ecological niche. Only in very specialized environs such as Hawaii or Australia is this a bad thing, else we'd be up to our eyeballs in rats, mice and other rodents whose survival strategy is based mainly on breeding faster than they are predated.

So cats are smarter than dogs?
Plus more useful, as anyone who has had to go into a house with a days-old corpse can attest.