• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

I kinda always wondered what it might've been like to join a frat

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Currents/Content?oid=oid:88121.

U of A - Tucson, AZ

At least 200 people were packed into a frat house at an event a fraternity member described as "a small gathering," a University of Arizona Police Department report stated.
Chambers reportedly said he was unable to get some people to leave, because they were afraid they would be arrested for underage drinking once they stepped outside. One officer wrote that Chambers told him 90 percent of the women at the party were younger than 21. Many people who were exiting the building were carrying beer and stumbling around, the officer continued.
Vifquain reportedly walked outside a third time and became confrontational with authorities, alleging that the "safety reasons" officer had "little man's syndrome." The officer still refused to shake Vifquain's hand, prompting him to yell that he would "kick (the officer's) ass" if he were out of uniform. Vifquain let out a stream of profanities as others held him back, in order to prevent him from the striking the officer.
Just thought i would quote a few of the best parts :D

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Most frat guys I know personally are cool guys, except for the fact that they spend most of their time intoxicated, hitting on women that aren't their SO.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
theres a frat here at my uni (in Canada our frats are no where near what you guys have in the states) and everyone is down to earth in the frat, they actually have a lot of functions and things to give back to the community

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BullyCanadian
theres a frat here at my uni (in Canada our frats are no where near what you guys have in the states) and everyone is down to earth in the frat, they actually have a lot of functions and things to give back to the community
Sounds like a majority of the fraternities on my campus.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ
hmm never knew lol, I just go by what I hear and see on tv lol Im mis informed on frats never really cared for them much

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
hmm never knew lol, I just go by what I hear and see on tv lol Im mis informed on frats never really cared for them much
A lot of people are misinformed on fraternities.

I'm what's called the Vision Chair for my fraternity at UMD. Basically, what my job is, is to make sure that we improve ourselves, the chapter, and the community. We are required the following, plus many other things:

Attend the following workshops (which we can either setup ourselves, or attend on campus if they have an event):
Values Clarification, Acadademic Success, Alcohol and Drug Education, and one of our choosing, such as Recruitment Skills, Leadership, etc.

Have a faculty advisor that helps work with us and the university in whatever we do.

Have an Outreach program that involves faculty, community members (such as local politicians), or university staff.

20 Hours of Community Service per Brother. (personal choice)
Must Host/Initiate at least one community service event, such as Stream Clean, Picking up trash along the highway, etc.

Must Host a Diversity Program (chapter must set this event up, and it can be something like racial awareness, LGBT education, etc).

Plus plenty of other things we have to do with the university. Not to mention, academically our fraternity GPA is above that of the all-men's average (ours is a 3.05+).

ASK THE COMMUNITY