I just washed my cell phone...*PICS*

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
I came home from a long day at the beach and wanted to shower quickly so I threw all my clothes in the washer and forgot to get my cell phone. Obviously it isn't funtioning right now but I was wondering if there was a way to save it? My Sony Ericsson T600...:(:(:(

Back
Front

Pics are blurry because I'm traumatized at the moment.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: pray4mojo
I came home from a long day at the beach and wanted to shower quickly so I threw all my clothes in the washer and forgot to get my cell phone. Obviously it isn't funtioning right now but I was wondering if there was a way to save it? My Sony Ericsson T600...:(:(:(

Try taking it apart and letting it air out. Don't attempt to turn it on for at least 24 hours.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
mine got submerged for about three seconds, dried, and semi-worked for almost a month more, then died completely.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I fell into the lake with my Blackberry on.

Needless to say, it didn't make it. :(

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
If you didn't try to turn it on you can probably save it by drying it out for a couple days. If power has been applied just throw it away. :D

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Millennium

Try taking it apart and letting it air out. Don't attempt to turn it on for at least 24 hours.

Isn't this a fun little invention.

LordUnum

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001

That's a torx head. You don't have the proper bit/driver? Try finding an ordinary screwdriver with a narrow enough tip.

Krakerjak

Jul 23, 2001

I have bits to fit that.
Send the phone on over, i can attempt to salvage it ;)

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Krakerjak

I have bits to fit that.

How about you send your bits over? ;)
Where can I get them?

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
radio shack should have them, umm, any electrical supply store? I get mine from a place called norvac, but their a local store.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Don't turn it on. Try leaving it on your car's dashboard for an hour or two if it's sunny at the moment. That should dry it out enough. Then try powering it on to see if it still works.

BCskunk

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2002
a friend of mine dropped his cell phone into the toilet bowl when taking a dump...

he had his cell in his jeans pocket..when he sat down to crap...it fell out...and he heard a "plop" sound...

got up...looked down...and there was his cell phone...inside the bowl...

AHAHHAA..

he got a new cell phone the next day..

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
You probably can't save it.

But hey, you've got nothing to lose, so here's what I'd suggest:

1: REMOVE THE BATTERY! Unfortunately, this is probably a step that would have been best taken before the phone went into the wash.

2: Disassemble as much as possible.

3: Submerge in clean water, allow all parts to rinse as thoroughly as possible.

4: Allow parts to dry for a day or more.

5: Reassemble and test.

(These steps were suggested by a camera repair expert in something I read once for what to do if your camera gets dunked in saltwater.)

Water, in and of itself, will not harm most electronics. I worked for a while in an electronics board assembly shop, and the last stage in manufacturing was to run the circuit boards through a consumer dishwasher. (Cold water, no soap.)

Having power to the thing while it went through the wash probably was the worst factor here. (Okay, that or the soap.) The battery may be fried and I'd encourage you to test with a new/known working battery after rinsing.

I truly believe the water was probably not the worst thing for the phone. Soap, and physical shock of the washer, and having the battery in were probably worse.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Krakerjak

I have bits to fit that.

How about you send your bits over? ;)
Where can I get them?

Even Wal-Mart should have torx screwbits.

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
Would it have mattered if the cell phone was ON when it went in?

I guess it does...

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BCskunk
a friend of mine dropped his cell phone into the toilet bowl when taking a dump...

he had his cell in his jeans pocket..when he sat down to crap...it fell out...and he heard a "plop" sound...

AHAHHAA..

**OFFICIAL** Hijack

Beautiful work! Your thread is so much better than the other guy with the blurry pictures, yeesh!

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
Much :heart: to my cell.

I'm pretty sure it's gone since its been in there overnight. Any suggestions for a new one?

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: oniq
Originally posted by: BCskunk

AHAHHAA..

**OFFICIAL** Hijack

Beautiful work! Your thread is so much better than the other guy with the blurry pictures, yeesh!

I remember another guy that dropped his IPOD into the toilet. He reached in and saved it.