• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

I just wanted to check in for weight loss accountability. Please read.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Today is February 21, 2021. and I've gained weight from being a hermit the past year. I've not been going to the office and have been working behind my computer probably taking less than 3500 steps/day.

I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life and am currently 245lbs.

I am going to lose weight for when I go on Vacation in June. My goal is to work through March/April/May and shoot for losing 2lbs/week over the course of those 12 weeks. I've already started conditioning by walking a little, but haven't started dieting or REAL exercise yet.

12 X 2 = 24lbs.....245-24 = 221lbs is my goal weight. In 2015, I was probably 238 and crashed down to 212 training for a marathon, but that was over 6 months and with a lot of fat/muscle conversion. This is going to be trickier with me being 5 years older and even heavier starting out. I don't want to get injured and I'm starting in a colder/wetter time of the year. This is going to be a challenge.

Alright...I'm kicking the tires tomorrow and going to see what I have left in the tank. My plan is to cut my calorie intake to 2200 calories/day or less, walk 5-7 days/week @ 3 miles....and either bike or run or both depending on weather and how my joints feel.

I'm going to do an official weigh in and post back through the process. You don't have to hold me accountable, but as with the marathon training....I'm only motivated by fear and shame. If I don't post that I'm going to do something, there's a high likelihood that I won't follow through. I'm THAT lazy!

EDIT: I kept forgetting to do a weigh in. I was 245 last July when I went to the doctor, so I knew I was likely still around that. This is mostly just accumulated weight, so it shouldn't take many changes to flip the script from maintaining my weight to losing. I likely have been around 245 the past few weeks still.
OFFICIAL WEIGH IN: 2/23/2021 - 244.8 lbs.

I'll post back with updates in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Alright ! Thank you. It seems like a safe environment to talk about weight loss.

Here are strategies to help you approach weight management with a more positive and productive mindset.

You must use more calories than you consume to lose weight. Since one pound equals roughly 3,500 calories, you need to lose between 500 and 1,000 calories per day to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week (don’t go lower than 1,200 calories per day!)

If you're focused on using the scale, try to lose more than 1 to 2 pounds per week.

Losing up to 5-10% of your total body weight has a beneficial effect in reducing the risk of many chronic diseases and provides a sense of motivation.

Succeed if you try the diet and "fail." Diets don't work! Cutting calories too much, cutting out entire food groups, or losing the foods you really like are not strategies for long-term success.

The good news is that you can permanently change destructive eating habits and break the "food mindset" forever.
Thanks. I'm pretty lucky because I'm 6'4" and burn more calories at rest and in motion than most people. I understand that a pound is about 3500 calories and how to cut them from my intake and use cardio effectively to go negative and shoot for -1000/day.....or -7000/week. I used to burn around 2800 calories a day, but probably way less now. I gotta move again....I've done it before.

My biggest issues are alcohol, sugar, and sitting around during cold/rainy/snowy days lately and simply not walking anywhere now that I'm working from home since March of last year (I plan on going back as soon as I'm vaccinated). I've been going the wrong direction since 2017-2018, but it was training burnout and my love for food/drink. Now, I just need to cut the weight and recondition myself.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Glad to see that you are setting realistic goals with the 2lbs/week loss plan. That seems very doable and realistic as long as you stick to it and it won't require any kind of crash diet. I'm willing to get you may lose more than 2lbs a week initially though but will slow down after that initial surge.

I've been working from home since July and I actually split my day up around the gym. I work from like 6-9 and then go to the gym around 9:15am and am back around 10:45am. Then I work the rest of my hours. It's a nice way to break the day up and to get out of the house. I do that Monday - Thursday. Fridays I just finish working at 2pm.

It can be tough to stay eating properly when working from home, but what I do is just not have the junk food around. I have a huge sweet tooth and if we have cookies, I will eat them. I do have a 5 year old so we have some junk food around, but rarely do I have like a big package of Oreos or something. Usually I will just get him a 2 pack of cookies for $1 at 7-11 or something if he wants cookies. Sure it may cost more in the long run but not that much more. But that way we're not just sitting on all this junk food in our closet either.

It was definitely easier for me, mentally, to eat properly when going into work and bringing my lunch every day. I am pretty much sticking to that same plan right now though as I'm trying to lean up a little bit.

I know I'm rambling now but my point is that even though you are sitting at home a lot now, 90% of weight loss is done in the kitchen. So you can still do it as long as you have the discipline.

ASK THE COMMUNITY