I just voted! For the first time!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Yay, I even got a sticker and some Halloween candy! I voted early because I will be in New Orleans next week.

First off, let me just say I'm VERY impressed with the Mecklenburg County elections board. We probably have the most modern voting system to date. Thank God we are lightyears ahead of Broward County in Florida!

So here's how it worked. All I had to do was show up at any branch library between 11:00am and 7:00pm. Since I missed my chance yesterday (driving the boss' wife & kids around town) I decided that today would be good (seeing that I am sick at home thanks to a failed heater leaving it 40 degrees in my bedroom.) So I walk into the library, and I notice that they have barricades saying "no campaigning beyond this point." Good, cuz I hate them sonsofbitches campaign volunteers (they wouldn't be out much today anyway, seein how its so early!)

I walked in and signed a statement claiming that I am who I say I am, and then a volunteer signed the form as my witness. Then I walked into the polling area, where they had 8-10 polling booths (more like podiums with plastic shrouds.) Another volunteer took my signed form, looked at my name, and punched a few things into a laptop computer. She didn't even have to look at my voter registration card, since the laptop had my NC driver license photo pulled up with a 'REGISTERED VOTER' flag. Then she put a programmable smartcard into a machine, took it back out, and gave it to me.

So now I have my smartcard. I walk up to an empty booth and lo and behold! There is a little voting machine with an LCD screen and card reader! I swipe the card, and it automatically loads up the ballot based on my particular congressional district! Cool!!! The ballot is arranged in 7 "pages", and I can go back or forth at each time. A small timer shows how much of my allotted five minutes remains. Two minutes later I am done my voting and I hit the big red button to submit my ballot. All done! Take my sticker and candy and I'm out!!

Remember to vote YES for municipal school and police bonds!

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA

Whatever, Mecklenburg County School Board can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

I hope the Police bonds are a separate item.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: AU Tiger
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA

Whatever, Mecklenburg County School Board can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

I hope the Police bonds are a separate item.
Actually we didn't have any police bonds if I remember correctly--that was more of a blanket statement for everyone in the forums, but yes they are always separated! If I recall correctly, the three bond items were for teachers & school improvements (I vote YES), road works and improvements (I vote YES), and public housing (I vote HELL NO!)

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Your first time is always the best.
I recall correctly, the three bond items were for teachers & school improvements
Probably a mistake. The money won't get to the teachers and students. It will be absorbed by administration and spent on antique desks, 60" LCD displays and creating new, unneeded positions.