I just surpassed 30 days uptime on my Windows2000 SP3 workstation!

Jan 9, 2002
WHOOOOO HOOOOOO! :D Question is, how much longer can I expect this box to go? I use this thing constantly. Like 10 hours per day on average. I've seen someone on uptimes.wonko.com go for 58 days, so two months is going to be my new record.

Proof

bex0rs

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Has SP3 been out 30 days?

Windows uptimes are mostly useless anyhow. It just means you haven't installed the latest windows patches for the past month.

~bex0rs

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
My work Linux box was up for nearly 200 days, then the power flickered.

Too bad you'll be rebooting when SP3 final gets released.

Jan 9, 2002
Not necessarily- it just 'asks' you if you want to reboot. You can hit Cancel and run for as long as you want. Granted, the changes won't be implemented, but nevertheless. Unfortunately, I'm moving on the 8th, so my box will have to go down whether I like it or not. :( On the flipside though, I'm going to take care of a couple minor enhancements and upgrades while it's down.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Why would you install it if you don't plan on rebooting to actually make it take effect?

Jan 9, 2002
I wouldn't, I'm just saying you could- sometimes the Windows Update notification icon in the taskbar won't leave you alone, so I'll install it just to shut it up.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Thankfully I don't use the Update Notification, so I wouldn't know. Also thankfully I don't have to reboot after installing updates on my Linux boxes =)

Jan 9, 2002
Lol, ok ok... you win... :p

Now that I've realized that 30 days is no big deal, what distro are you running? I'm thinking about building me a nice, yet cheap, RH7.2 box this fall.

knappster

Jul 24, 2002
we've had some NT boxes at my company up for about 230 days...

then the power went out for about 2 hours...and the UPS ran out of battery power..:(

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
It's hard to keep an NT workstation up that long and stay current on security patches =) With server it's not too bad because most of the big problems are wth stupid IE's rendering engine being buggy as all hell and that's not very important since you don't browse the web on your servers, right?

We've had NetWare servers up for close to 2 years, the only thing that seems to f' with them is the sh!tty backup software.

All my Linux boxes are Debian.

jstultz

Jul 22, 2002
I never really get to test my uptime, because I shut off my computer everynight....father's mandate...g'ah.

NightFlyer, nice car, can I have your engine? ;)

I have a 1983 Rabbit, been lookin to get an '86 GTI engine and swap it in (double the horsepower...)

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
30 days is nothing. I have customers that have had uptime measured in months or years.

The problem is, as others have said, keeping current on updates. But if you differentiate between planned downtime and unplanned downtime, you'll find that unplanned downtime on Windows 2000 really can approach zero on a well managed system.

Buddha Bart

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I had a win2k fileserver at work up 110 days untill some bumf*ck decided that rebooting it would solve why he couldn't mount a share right.

No UPS, not even a surge protector (though i think the power supplies in netfinity 5600's will cover that for you)

bart

crapito

Golden Member
Oct 20, 1999
regarding uptime, how can I check how long I've been running my WinXP Pro machine? I tried uptimei.exe, which was recommended on another thread, but when I double-clicked it to run, a DOS box pops up, then immediately goes away. any ideas?

thanks.

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I recently upgraded to Win2Kpro so I don't know if the following holds true. But when I had Win98se, if I kept computer up without rebooting for more than a day it would start acting slow, and after I rebooted it functioned "fresh." So doesn't keeping a computer up a long time slow it down (memory clutters, etc.. ?)

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Xenon14
I recently upgraded to Win2Kpro so I don't know if the following holds true. But when I had Win98se, if I kept computer up without rebooting for more than a day it would start acting slow, and after I rebooted it functioned "fresh." So doesn't keeping a computer up a long time slow it down (memory clutters, etc.. ?)

Win2k is much better than win9x on that aspect.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
So doesn't keeping a computer up a long time slow it down (memory clutters, etc.. ?)

Not at all, that would be Win9X's sh!tty memory management you're noticing.

Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: AMDHardcoreFan
why use beta when the full final version is out?

Yep, should have updated this thread saying that I've downloaded the final. Going to see how long beta will last before I install it. :)