I just static zapped my laptop and it turned off

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I have this fleece blanket that creates a lot of static when its cold out and somehow I guess I charged myself up and touched my laptop and it turned off... I turned it back on everything seems to be ok... is there chance I did some kind of damage?

Oct 20, 2005
of course there is some chance.

the thing with ESD (electro static discharge) is that sometimes you can damage a component's life, or rather shorten it. So you might not see any real damge now, but instead of working for X amount of years, it may only work for half that time.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
My Toshiba satellite would turn off every time I touched the left speaker until I got it fixed. Happened many times and everything is still ok with it.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
I have gotten static zaps with my thinkpad on the case or keyboard, but it didn't turn off.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Crucial
My Toshiba satellite would turn off every time I touched the left speaker until I got it fixed. Happened many times and everything is still ok with it.

How did you get it fixed? Sounds like a vague problem, I dunno how I'd fix that.. Unless of course the speaker is like right above the power button or is shorting out two terminals that just happen to power the laptop on and off....?

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango
Originally posted by: Crucial

How did you get it fixed? Sounds like a vague problem, I dunno how I'd fix that.. Unless of course the speaker is like right above the power button or is shorting out two terminals that just happen to power the laptop on and off....?

It was a grounding problem with that model. Toshiba revised the bezel that held the speaker covers/keyboard/touch pad and it was fixed under warranty.

I guess I should have specified that it wouldn't "turn off" it would hard boot sometimes and other times just power off without shutting down windows.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
well seems like the laptop is fine.. hopefully it wont explode (grumbes... damn sony battery.. grumble)