I just spend 400$ at BrooksBrothers.com

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
lol, another "flaunt my wealth thread"
Spending $400 on some quality clothing is hardly flaunting wealth. :roll:
It's not like he's claiming to have spent 5 Grand.

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002

Might as well...

I bought 2 suits a couple of months ago from Brooks Bros when they had a sale. Cost about $1600 total. Quality is superb. The cost includes full custom tailoring. They threw in two small "knot ball" cufflings for the heck of it.

Then I bought a 3/4 Length 50% cashmere coat for an awesome sale of $500!

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I spend $3-5 on Old Navy/Gap polos from the Outlet Malls. No dress code FTW. I'm glad I don't have to dress up anymore for work.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20
3 on discount with 3-for-190$ offer, 2 normal priced, 1 on clearance, and with free shipping

i dont usually spend this much money on clothing, but after discovering 2 more ruined express 1mx shirt tonight while ironing (that makes it the 5th one so far), why not buy some clothing that'll last a few years?

well, the only reservation is the fit. if these dont work out, im going for the 60$ custom-tailored-in-thailand websites......

tsk-tsk, never buy "normal priced".

how are you ruining your express shirts?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I absolutely love BB stuff. Shirts, ties, suits, all great quality. I am planning to drop about 3-4k, if not more, there in a couple weeks. New job that requires multiple suits (not into dropping too much there, but BB suits are decent), ties, and dress shirts, overcoat...etc. I have to wear shirt and tie every day and suits on a regular basis.

The only problem I have with all dress shirts is that I use my elbows a lot and I wear through them quickly. I BB shirt will last me a year and a half tops.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence

might as well, 6 shirts for $400?

for $400 i could buy like 5 pairs of pants and 20 shirts

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

What kind of pants? Quality wool pants will cost you at least $70 each in most places, and that's on the the cheap side. Quality dress cotton shirts are at least $35 in most places, again, on the cheap. That's just starting prices though. The better the stuff, the higher the price. Some people enjoy wearing good clothing.
He may have not gotten great deals, but it's hardly flaunting wealth.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
Brooks has good quality fabrics and construction, but their regular cuts fit on me like tents. I'd rather wear a better fitted shirt with lower quality fabric.

Speaking of which, there are some Hong Kong tailors that offer bespoke shirts over the Web for about $50. I've been meaning to give them a try.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004

$400 for six shirts isn't bad at all. It's only $67/ shirt. That's what a single Ralph Lauren Brand "Polo" costs. Some are more. If you can get 5 pairs of pants and 20 shirts (obviously exagerrating) they are either:

A) Cheap and will fall apart
B) Stolen
C) Second hand
D) won't look very professional

People can tell when your clothes are cheap. Sure Target sells $12-$15 polos, but one look at them tells you that they aren't a higer end brand name. The fabric isn't as high quality, nor is the durability or comfort.

To each his/her own, but a nicer shirt is a preference and will more than likely last longer than the cheaper, evening out the level of utility and satisfaction received from it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
no wonder this country is in the shithole. all these people who have to have namebrand everything.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
no wonder this country is in the shithole. all these people who have to have namebrand everything.

I am 100% certain that if I wore a Wal Mart shirt to work and use them as often as I do, it wouldn't look nearly as good after a year. Not to mention they probably don't use wrinkle-free, which means I have to spend about $2.00 dry cleaning. I could iron myself, but when I am working 12-14 hours a day, I don't have much time.

BB has awesome quality at a decent price. Don't knock what you don't know toolboy.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
400 hundred for a shirt would be flaunting IMO. I regularly pay 70-100 per piece for RL Polo clothing. Those saying that it is outrageous probably spend 3 grand a year on gadgets, computers and electronics........

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

I'll tell you something....there isn't a way to know a BB shirt unless you check the inside label. Its not like its got logos plastered all over it like COOGI

you still live with your mom and you've never been laid......how valid can your opinion on this matter possibly be?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

I'll tell you something....there isn't a way to know a BB shirt unless you check the inside label. Its not like its got logos plastered all over it like COOGI

you still live with your mom and you've never been laid......how valid can your opinion on this matter possibly be?

Some do have the symbol on the outside, but rarely do any of their dress shirts have them. It's mostly their casual wear, which I don't buy. Their pants and suits do not have external labels of course.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

lol, and that has anything to do with the topic at hand, how? :confused:
just once, i would like to see someone's replies on this forum to have something to do with the topic at hand and not resort to insults. i think that might be the day hell freezes over.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

No, this country is a shithole because relatively few people have any class.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: daniel1113

right, because spending insane amounts of money on clothes with someone's name on them means you have class, right?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

right, because spending insane amounts of money on clothes with someone's name on them means you have class, right?

I'm sorry, where did I say that?

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

lol, and that has anything to do with the topic at hand, how? :confused:

general lack of life experience = you don't know anything about anything(yet)...let alone the ability to form valid insight as it pertains to value and fashion. Im certain you still have an
"un-button your fly" t-shirt in your closet.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

yeah look at how many times brooks brothers appears on these shirts:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect..._Id=1&Section_Id=207&viewAll=t&sortBy=

you can see over the website a higher quality in the stitching, fabric, color integrity etc......

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
so spending excessive amounts of money on clothing means you have life experience?
even if i had the money to spend on expensive shirts, i wouldn't do it because its still a waste of money.

also, i live at home by necessity, not by choice. if i could afford to move out, believe me, i'd ahve been gone long ago.

btw, i've never owned a "un-button your fly" t-shirt or anything similar. i'm amazed at how certain you can be about someone you've never met.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

yeah look at how many times brooks brothers appears on these shirts:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect..._Id=1&Section_Id=207&viewAll=t&sortBy=

you can see over the website a higher quality in the stitching, fabric, color integrity etc......

you can? i don't see any difference than any of the shirts i've ever owned

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
so spending excessive amounts of money on clothing means you have life experience?
even if i had the money to spend on expensive shirts, i wouldn't do it because its still a waste of money.

also, i live at home by necessity, not by choice. if i could afford to move out, believe me, i'd ahve been gone long ago.

btw, i've never owned a "un-button your fly" t-shirt or anything similar. i'm amazed at how certain you can be about someone you've never met.

So, admittedly you cannot figure out a way to move out of your moms basement but we are supposed to believe you have the ability to form valid insight as it pertains to value and fashion???

my advice to you, don't post in threads in which you have no insight at all.....it comes off as trolling most of the time and makes you look increasingly foolish. You admittedly never have nor ever would own a shirt that cost more than 15 dollars. How then can you provide any type of opinion on something you have no experience with? You are the type of person that would jump into a thread about which tampon is the best and wouldn't understand why nobody takes you seriously.