I just shoved a flaming hot paperclip through my toenails

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

huberm

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
had to do the same thing to my finger once. I finally gave in after about 4 days of unbearable pain and went to the doctor.

The worst part is when your nail finally falls off (yours will fall off in a few weeks). I went to grab some papers and brushed up against the desk, only to see my fingernail bend to the point that it was attached at the base of the nail, but perpendicular to my finger. Nausea ensued shortly after.

On the bright side you did the right thing because it will not get better on its own.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
or.. is this the case of having a toe stepped on and as a result pooled, un-clotted blood under the nail?

If the nail is really jammed it isn't the same as jamming a joint.

You can see by OPs pictures that his nail beds are damaged (swelling, redness). Not a big deal, they'll heal themselves.

But a build up of blood under the nail has nowhere to go and just sits there. Anybody that's ever had a nail injury knows what happens - you lose the nail. Eventually the nail will pull away (the toe will expel the nail).

Common practice for this build up of blood under the nail is to puncture the nail and relieve it. If you ever really jam your nail (not the joint) the best thing to do is what the OP did.

*not a doctor or a pediatrist*

After looking at the pics again, OP will probably lose both nails. But his beds will be fine., and that is what is important.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I have always used a small drill bit or a sharp exacto knife like a drill. Convention is irrelevant, relieving the pressure is the important issue. Why pay a doctor to do simple things like this, especially considering these days they would have to do three days of testing before they would be willing to make a decision what to do anyway.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
i just hope my nails never get to the point that i have to poke a hole in them. i dont think i would be able to do it myself. i would probably have to get myself drunk beforehand

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
For the people that have done this, how long did stuff continue to seep out? It's still oozing pretty good.

I'm changing out the dressing every couple hours.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Sweet mother of..... Just something about this makes my skin crawl. No way I could do that to myself. Someone better grab the baseball bat and knock me out first.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Oh.... LOL I thought the OP stuck the paper clip from the tip of the finger nail (toe nail) and then 'dug through' with the flaming hot paper clip..... Basically like a form of torture, right? Reference perhaps???

So why would this hurt then if there isn't any live tissue under the part of the nail where you planned to 'drain' it from?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: zerocool84
i just hope my nails never get to the point that i have to poke a hole in them. i dont think i would be able to do it myself. i would probably have to get myself drunk beforehand

Drunk would be bad. You want steady hands and need to be mindful of just how far down you go. I had the option of popping a Vicodin before doing it, but chose not to.

The actual process is amazingly painless. It's just a mental hurdle you need to jump over.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Ronstang
I have always used a small drill bit /q]

Same here. I use a sharp, 1mm-2mm bit and just manually twist it with my fingers until it breaks through to flow the blood. This way is a bit more controlled because you can't accidentally go too far beyond the nail. If anyone has had this injury, you know what a relief it is to drain it. It's certainly not worth the effort, time and expense of going to the doctor for. They'll only charge you to do the same thing you can do yourself for free.