I just saved money

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
and it wasn't through Geico.

My car insurance was a little over $1400 a year. It is now a little over $700 a year and its with higher amounts on coverage than my old one was.

WOOT!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
It pays to do a lot of shopping around.
An afternoon on the internet can often save 25%+

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Just out of curiousity, what company did you switch from and which company did you switch to?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: kevnich2
Just out of curiousity, what company did you switch from and which company did you switch to?

from Drive, which used to be Progressive I guess to Erie.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo
It pays to do a lot of shopping around.
An afternoon on the internet can often save 25%+

actually, the insurance agent i go through called me and said she found a better deal for me.

on the phone she quoted me $107 a month for 9 months. after i got there and she asked me more questions and stuff, she got it even lower to $81 a month for 9 months. they apparently only bill for 9 months out of the year or something.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm about to dump drive as well. The free rate quote from gieco said it would be about $500 less a year. Anyone know how accurate those quotes usually are?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: chrisms
I saved 20% switching from Geico to esurance. Yeeehaw
Did you actually switch to esurance? How's that goin' for ya?

Maybe it is just me, but I'm skeptical of all these super-low rates people are hunting for and willing to switch companies for. I've had State Farm since I started driving (23 now) and they've always performed great when necessary. Now that I no longer have anything on my record, I'm paying $160/month for my GTO daily driver & 97 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon. I've gotten quotes on other cars and overall they're quite reasonable; the GTO was actually one of the lower quotes ;)

This is with 100% full coverage on both vehicles, with $1M underinsured/uninsured driver coverage.

I've never had any BS with them and my agent (in the town I used to live in) always responds to e-mails very quickly. He is very helpful and doesn't mind me bugging him a lot, or at least he's nice about it ;)

Can you get that from your discount e-insurance company? I'm curious

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra
Actually, i saved a LOT of money switching to Geico from Progressive. (Like 30%)

That's the first I've heard of that. Did you downgrade your insurance? I've ALWAYS seen people get a higher quote from Progressive than Geico.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: KillyKillall
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra
Actually, i saved a LOT of money switching to Geico from Progressive. (Like 30%)

That's the first I've heard of that. Did you downgrade your insurance? I've ALWAYS seen people get a higher quote from Progressive than Geico.

No, actually...I got a better plan from Geico and saved like 450 dollars over Progressive.