I just realized theres another good reason to avoid tattoos: Copyrighted material on TV. Its extra work for some poor underpaid schmuck.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I consider it evidence of a moment of stupidity.

Lots of people have their moments. I accept that.

When someone keeps having the SAME type of stupidity moment over and over with more and more tattoos, then I'm thinking stupidity is the dominant thought process.

I also think they look trashy, no matter how sweet or artfully done they might seem in comparison to others, but it's just one part of the bigger picture, why they have the tattoo(s), how they dress, how they act.

I categorize it as a body mutilation and IMO, even pierced ears are less than a sane thing to do. Pierced nose/lip/tongue/other, drifting further into the stupidity zone, then if you have cranial horn implants, just GTFO, lol.

Should I mention gold teeth? No I've gone far enough.

Copyright and blurring videos? It's not a big thing to put makeup over most tattoos, while doing the rest of the makeup.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

When someone keeps having the SAME type of stupidity moment over and over with more and more tattoos, then I'm thinking stupidity is the dominant thought process.

I also think they look trashy, no matter how sweet or artfully done they might seem in comparison to others, but it's just one part of the bigger picture, why they have the tattoo(s), how they dress, how they act.

I categorize it as a body mutilation and IMO, even pierced ears are less than a sane thing to do. Pierced nose/lip/tongue/other, drifting further into the stupidity zone, then if you have cranial horn implants, just GTFO, lol.

Copyright and blurring videos? It's not a big thing to put makeup over most tattoos, while doing the rest of the makeup.
You don't like repeated stupidity?

You should look at your posting history. It's literally a mutilation of decency and rational honest thought.

You can take a piercing out or even get a tattoo removed but you can't fix your brain dude.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

This says more about you than it does about people with tattoos. I've known plenty of smart folks with tattoos, and I'm sure you'd look at the way I dress and categorize me as "one of teh stoopids", but you've never dazzled me with your intellect, so your categorization doesn't carry much water.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Even supposedly smart people make stupid tattoo mistakes. As I've stated, it's weighed against the rest, including how many stupid tattoo mistakes they've made.

I categorize the way people dress as stupid, mostly when it's inappropriate for the environment or distracting to get attention and the latter is still the venue/environment. I imagine you feel the same way when you see it, even if it wouldn't suit your argument here to admit that.

My categorization doesn't have to hold water for anyone else. I consider it stupid to binge drink Mountain Dew too, but I don't expect this to cause someone to stop that, nor stop getting tattoos, either.

It is what it is, and the majority of society past their age of mental maturity, view tattoos negatively. Studies show this even includes the interviewed research participants that have tattoos. I'm not in the minority.

I see people doing stupid things every day. Tattoos are merely one of those things, but it happens to be the subject of the topic so there it is. I also think bumper stickers look stupid. Not supposed to be there.

Everyone should have freedom of expression. They should also have the freedom to think that what someone else is expressing (and how), is stupid.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
All I know is that my father got a ton of tattoos as a child in the Navy, he joined at 17, and hated himself ever after and wouldn't be caught dead showing off his body. He made it very clear to me that I would have to be a moron to get one. So I never did. My father made me a tattoo bigot. He told me that eventually they would all look like shit. He was also a hoarder of sorts something I wonder if was genetically transmitted. Putting a tattoo on blank canvas wastes valuable real estate where some other better one could go on. Have you ever been able to decide on the best of anything? And with the political scene going as it is, who wants to walk around looking like prime material for a Nazi lamp shade. So the more tattooed people out there the better off I am, I guess. Maybe me and shortylickens still have a chance. We're also like my father who said he was 200% American because he hates everybody. Hear hear! Oh wait, that's British.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
He told me that eventually they would all look like shit.

I'm a nurse so I see lots of naked old people. Just let me tell you that there's no point in worrying that your tattoos are going to look a bit faded and wrinkly when you are old. All of you is going to look a bit rubbish by then! Collect experiences and get comfortable in your skin rather than worry about if other people think it looks attractive!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
^ Even supposedly smart people make stupid tattoo mistakes. As I've stated, it's weighed against the rest, including how many stupid tattoo mistakes they've made.

I categorize the way people dress as stupid, mostly when it's inappropriate for the environment or distracting to get attention and the latter is still the venue/environment. I imagine you feel the same way when you see it, even if it wouldn't suit your argument here to admit that.

My categorization doesn't have to hold water for anyone else. I consider it stupid to binge drink Mountain Dew too, but I don't expect this to cause someone to stop that, nor stop getting tattoos, either.

It is what it is, and the majority of society past their age of mental maturity, view tattoos negatively. Studies show this even includes the interviewed research participants that have tattoos. I'm not in the minority.

I see people doing stupid things every day. Tattoos are merely one of those things, but it happens to be the subject of the topic so there it is. I also think bumper stickers look stupid. Not supposed to be there.

Everyone should have freedom of expression. They should also have the freedom to think that what someone else is expressing (and how), is stupid.
Youre very vocal about your dislikes for someone who thinks that people should do what they like! I wouldn't get anything done if I had a rant about all my dislikes!

Of all the life decisions other people can make a tattoo seems one of the least things that affects other people.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Very vocal? This may be the first time I've ever mentioned it. I'm on a computer and can type quite fast, so can express a lot more in same amount of time compared to someone poking away on a phone or otherwise typing slow.

"People should do what they like"? Yes, and accept the consequences of their actions. Someone else thinking it is stupid, is not all that significant a consequence. It's not as though I want people with tattoos charged with a crime or anything.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
^ Very vocal? This may be the first time I've ever mentioned it. I'm on a computer and can type quite fast, so can express a lot more in same amount of time compared to someone poking away on a phone or otherwise typing slow.

"People should do what they like"? Yes, and accept the consequences of their actions. Someone else thinking it is stupid, is not all that significant a consequence. It's not as though I want people with tattoos charged with a crime or anything.
You did go a little beyond thinking tattoos are stupid (by the way, we DO have a working "Quote" and "Reply" function here, the ^ isn't a shortcut for that ;)) and have developed the belief that if a person has many tattoos, "stupidity is the dominant thought process". You're judging them based on the color of their skin rather than the content of their character :p

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^^ It is a shortcut to a full blown, edited quote. Don't like it? Is that like not liking tattoos? :) If you want to think that is stupid, I'm okay with that.

It's not judging someone based on the color of their skin. It's judging based on the choices they make, which is something practically everyone does.

It's amazing that the word stupid stirs up this much argument. It's just a word, and exists for a reason. If you can't accept that I think it's stupid, it's not my problem.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Can you imagine in 30 years all these grannies with sleeve tattoos. They will look ridiculous. As will the dudes with the upper arm ones.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm a nurse so I see lots of naked old people. Just let me tell you that there's no point in worrying that your tattoos are going to look a bit faded and wrinkly when you are old. All of you is going to look a bit rubbish by then! Collect experiences and get comfortable in your skin rather than worry about if other people think it looks attractive!
I am quite happy with my father’s advise and thus comfortable in my own skin just as it arrived naturally. Thus the experience I decided to have is the one that comes naturally. The experiences I’ve sought are to empty my cup of ego expressive emotional needs, to be a nobody, unadorned and unsigned as it were. What I have of value in life I found after experiencing the hopelessness of seeking. Gotta go. Tell you a story later.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I am quite happy with my father’s advise and thus comfortable in my own skin just as it arrived naturally. Thus the experience I decided to have is the one that comes naturally. The experiences I’ve sought are to empty my cup of ego expressive emotional needs, to be a nobody, unadorned and unsigned as it were. What I have of value in life I found after experiencing the hopelessness of seeking. Gotta go. Tell you a story later.

Except nobody is judging you for not having tattoos

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Except nobody is judging you for not having tattoos
Isn't your judgement that I am and shouldn't?

I was told at an early age that getting tattoos would be something I would regret, that essentially I would be foolish to do so. As I said above this made me a tattoo bigot. I am aware of it. I am judgmental and prejudiced on that subject but I have freed myself of belief in my judgment. It is an autonomic process into which I put no stock other than to determine my own personal action. I do not crusade against tattoos or go around bitching about them to people who have them. Nor do I tell them how stupid I think they are. I am aware that what I was conditioned to believe was the result only of my father's life experience. I accepted his wisdom on the matter before I could even think moderately rationally. I have discussed my attitude here with all of the personal idiosyncrasies that others have. I didn't do so to disparage others opinions. That is a given coming from a bigot. Did I tell you how much your disrespect for my bigotry hurts my feelings. I got my tattoo. I branded myself as a bigot and here you are criticizing me. :) Have at it.

And look at the world I have to live in today surrounded on all sides by tattooed fools waving their tats in my face. I'm fucked, I tell you. I have even considered getting one myself just to join the crowd and go in the direction of desensitization via exposure, but for what reason. I hear they hurt. I read something recently, come to think of it, that there are some issues with the inks that are used. I did the wash off kind when I was a kid.

Love you with or without your tattoos.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The story: Mulla Nasrudin went with a group of tourists to the sea for the first time. Everybody but him was ooh and aah the scene. Someone asked him his opinion of the view and he answered that it was quite impressive but that it was too bad someone had poured water all over it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It just occurred to me that I never thought my father was a fool for getting his tattoos nor did I object to them or find them offensive. I just knew he didn't want me to feel the same regrets in my life as he did about them in his.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have an unpopular opinion about it. I HATE tattoos and think they make women look cheap and trashy. It seems like one of the main reasons so many people are getting tattoos is because 'everyone else is doing it' and I don't think there's anything even remotely attractive about mindless sheep.
They vary, but I've seen some that I think look awful. Tattoos are so common, it just doesn't make sense to react. I'm generally much more offended by nose rings, and other metal "adornments" sticking out of people's lips, belly buttons, eyebrows, etc. etc. etc. and I've probably seen worse but can't remember now because the memories themselves would be traumatizing... o_O

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Actually, judging them by the content of their skin. ;)
Both! I thought about going that route but didn't.
^^ It is a shortcut to a full blown, edited quote. Don't like it? Is that like not liking tattoos? :) If you want to think that is stupid, I'm okay with that.
it's not a shortcut to anything. And yes, it is stupid.
It's not judging someone based on the color of their skin.
Yes, it is. You're looking at their skin, seeing it's been decorated to some level and deciding "stupidity is the dominant thought process".
It's judging based on the choices they make, which is something practically everyone does.

It's amazing that the word stupid stirs up this much argument. It's just a word, and exists for a reason. If you can't accept that I think it's stupid, it's not my problem.
Oh, I can accept that you think it's stupid, I just think it's kind of ironic because I think you're stupid based on the things you say.

Edit: not specifically in this thread, just your overall input on the forums here over time.