I just realized theres another good reason to avoid tattoos: Copyrighted material on TV. Its extra work for some poor underpaid schmuck.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think I went on a rant a while ago about how tattoos are fucking stupid and most of them are ugly and most people with them are not expressing anything except how dumb or unoriginal they are.
Do you remember that rant?

Anyway, watching something on youtube that was originally TV and it suddenly occurred to me there's another problem with most modern tattoos. People really seem to love putting copyrighted shit all over their bodies. They probably won't ever get sued by the copyright holder HOWEVER, it seems major broadcast networks are very paranoid about law suits. Any time there's something on screen that could be a potential lawsuit, somebody has to put a blur over whatever the fuck it is. And I am betting that's some poor asshole who makes minimum or less than minimum wage and he probably has to do it on very short notice. OR, they don't bother with a small blur and motion tracking, they just do a large blur real time in camera and cover a significant portion of whoever they're lookin at and you have no idea what the fuck is going on. Even worse when its in a movie or something and just totally ruins the scene, whereas a big ugly stupid tattoo would have just been mildly distracting.

Sports teams shit is also a problem but anyone who wears a team jersey just like, around town or whatever is probably a dingus so who the hell cares....

Reactions: Nicholas17Dominic

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
like with anything else, there are great and good tattoos and bad tattoos. Also, have yet to hear of a case of a normal person getting a tattoo and just going about their normal day to day and getting sued for copywrite infractions.

personally I find good tattoos very sexy on a woman.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
While I don't have any tats myself and have no plans to ever get one, I don't care if other folks get/have them.

Just be aware that your expensive "hot" tattoo now, will NOT be "hot" at all anymore in 25 years or so. (and WILL still be there!)

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
While I don't have any tats myself and have no plans to ever get one, I don't care if other folks get/have them.

Just be aware that your expensive "hot" tattoo now, will NOT be "hot" at all anymore in 25 years or so. (and WILL still be there!)

;)
There are no young people(definition: under 30) here. ;):p

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just be aware, that if you get an original, artistic tattoo on you, that when they go to put your "likeness" into a video game, they won't be legally allowed to add that tattoo, unless THEY ALSO get a hold of your original tattoo artist, and get the rights to the imagery.

Ferrari355

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
I have an unpopular opinion about it. I HATE tattoos and think they make women look cheap and trashy. It seems like one of the main reasons so many people are getting tattoos is because 'everyone else is doing it' and I don't think there's anything even remotely attractive about mindless sheep.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have an unpopular opinion about it. I HATE tattoos and think they make women look cheap and trashy. It seems like one of the main reasons so many people are getting tattoos is because 'everyone else is doing it' and I don't think there's anything even remotely attractive about mindless sheep.

That's funny. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of mindless sheep both tatooed and not tattooed, and people that are not mindless sheep both tattooed and not tattooed. I've met plenty of both.

I have no idea how anyone can come up with the rationale that anyone who gets tattooed is a mindless sheep because of that. That's bonkers.

Nov 17, 2019
I figure that if somebody has one, they must have been burned or had some other injury or skin defect they needed the tat to cover up.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Just be aware, that if you get an original, artistic tattoo on you, that when they go to put your "likeness" into a video game, they won't be legally allowed to add that tattoo, unless THEY ALSO get a hold of your original tattoo artist, and get the rights to the imagery.
good thing we're all billionaires already and have 0 use for income by using our likeness in media ;)

as i recall, that really came up for athletes - officially licensed NCAA, NBA, NFL, etc. video games?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

;)
The one I got 25 years ago (one of those "hey, we're all in the military, let's get tattoos" things) is a little blurry, but still looks pretty good. I have one on my shoulder that I got back in 2007, and since I was already having more work done in the area, got it touched up at the same time, and I think it came out looking better than it did originally. Planning to get that 25 year old one touched-up and altered too. Shockingly, I give no fucks what shorty thinks about any of this :p

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
What a staggeringly original viewpoint that I've never encountered before, you're the REAL rebel and freethinker here!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The one I got 25 years ago (one of those "hey, we're all in the military, let's get tattoos" things) is a little blurry, but still looks pretty good. I have one on my shoulder that I got back in 2007, and since I was already having more work done in the area, got it touched up at the same time, and I think it came out looking better than it did originally. Planning to get that 25 year old one touched-up and altered too. Shockingly, I give no fucks what shorty thinks about any of this :p

Somehow I get the impression that looking "sexy/hot" was not your primary goal here!

;)

I'm referring more to a rose (or similar) on a young, toned butt-cheek vs the "not so young anymore" version!

And let's face it .... NOBODY actually cares much what Shorty thinks! :p

Reactions: nakedfrog

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think it's dumb that copyright applies to tattoos, should be considered fair use imo. It is in no way preventing the sale of the product that the copyrighted image represents. Copyright these days seems to be more a form of censorship than a tool to protect artists from plagiarism. Heck the artists barely even own their own work, it's the copyright companies that do. They just want to keep milking the same work over and over. I guess they would want a royalty every time the tattoo shows up on screen, and that is kind of hard to do.

Reactions: Captante